Cement ceiling & elec source in the wrong place

grannysmith18January 3, 2011

My NYC apartment has cement walls and ceilings, so there is no possibility of running wires behind the walls (or the ceiling). I also don't want to drop the ceiling using sheetrock because it would mean doing it over a very large open area that includes the living room and foyer, and I don't want the resulting low ceiling.

There is wiring for an overhead fixture in the dining area, but it's at least 5 feet from the spot where I need it to be over the center of the table.

I'd like to get a modern chrome or stainless fixture. I also don't want to run a covered wire along the ceiling over to the spot where I want the light to be; I think it looks sort of tacky. Is there some sort of articulating arm that is meant for this purpose that would go slightly down and across, and I'd hang the chandelier from it and place it where I want. It would have to be very strong. It'd look sort of funky, but I don't mind that.

Any suggestions? Any other lighting possibilities? I'd like to add that I need a lot of light there. I'd want at least 300 watts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

The link is for Bruck Lighting. They have different types of rail from which pendants can be hung and look very nice in contemporary settings. Tech lighting is another choice but Bruck is higher quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bruck

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
Sponsored Products
Rope Whale Storage Basket
$67.99 | Dot & Bo
Enchantment Large River Stone Drum Pendant by ELK Lighting
$198.00 | Lumens
Reflection Print Giclee Glow Mini Pendant Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Clearview Chrome 9-Light Clear Crystal Pendant Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
LBL Lighting | Duke Suspension Light
$708.00 | YLighting