Looking for a covered toggle style switch cover

paulfieldingJanuary 28, 2013

I'm looking for a light switchplate (preferably 2 gang, but I'll take what I can get) that can either cover two existing light switches or replace the switches (easily). It's for a friend with two switches low on his kitchen bar wall - people are always accidentally hitting it with their hip and turning off the lights. I thought it would be fun to find him something along the lines of a red missile toggle switch (with cover), so he can literally lift the cover and hit the switch to turn the lights on or off, allowing the cover to protect from accidental bumping.

I was surprised that something like this is harder to find than I thought it would be. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

In my shop, a few switches which need to be ON most of the time have a two-hole strap mounted over the switch toggle with the plate mounting screws (longer ones). Would not look so great in the kitchen- but some matching nail polish might help. A finger from the side operates the switch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strap

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 2:29PM
David

Do you mean something like the following?

Here is a link that might be useful: wall switch cover

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 11:38PM
paulfielding

That does look tempting. It looks like it might be a little difficult to casually open for flipping the switch, but indeed I might look at it more closely. Thanks...

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 12:06AM
ionized_gw

I have a use for a device that would make you think twice before throwing a switch rather than preventing it. The strap link makes me think that there is probably a simple, inexpensive way to do it, but more sightly than a galvanized metal loop. Maybe find some plastic of a nice color that can be made into a loop and slip it under the screws.

I did just find some commercial alternatives:

http://www.littlegreenduckling.com/Child-Proof-Light-Switch-Guard/A/B0036Z0HYA.htm#.UQlOvELN-sE

http://www.kidsafeinc.com/product/01729/Child-Proof-Light-Switch-Guard.html?meta=GAW&metacpg=01729

Not absolutely clear if this is a lock out or meant to slow down, but appears to be the latter:

http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/TOGGLE-SWITCH-GUARDS/Electrical-Switch-Guard-Protects-Important-Switches-40460.html?meta=GAW&metacpg=TOGGLE%2dSWITCH%2dGUARDS&gclid=CM6EoJrJkLUCFdRbPAodiRYAag

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
Buzzing LEDs
I'm exploring LEDs for a new build, and so far, not...
mtvhike
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Sponsored Products
American Drew Tribecca Rectangular Coffee Table - 912-910
$580.00 | Hayneedle
Vicenza Silver Leaf Extension Table
FRONTGATE
Bella Multicolor Ruffled Floral-print Oversized 3-piece Cotton Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Gus Modern | Lightbox
YLiving.com
Van Teal Charming Turquoise And Chrome Modern Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting