dryer knocking

kayakluvSeptember 24, 2011

my 40-year-OLD Sears Kenmore dryer (model 110.6808612) has started knocking while it's running. I figure at some point it will just stop. It still dries the clothes. over the years it's had a belt replacement and a timer replacement. certainly doesn't owe me a thing.

I'm not ready to spend a bundle for a new one. can someone out there advise if repair would be a good deal less than buying new? thanks!

(I would be hiring it done by the local repair guy).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Likely causes are the belt, belt idler, or rear support rollers. These are common wear items, available together as a kit, not expensive, and simple to replace.
Part Number 4392065, $23.14 @ AppliancePartsPros.com

If the roller shafts are worn,
Left, Part Number 239480, $9.97
Right, Part Number W10359269, $7.88

You can find videos on YouTube how to disassemble the machine for DIY. Search for Whirlpool dryer belt idler or similar terms.

Less likely, the front drum support bearings/felt ... but this typically causes a metal-on-metal squeal rather than knocking.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 12:48PM
kayakluv

thank you very much for the information. It's unlikely I will attempt this myself. Will more harm be done if I don't get it fixed right away?

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 1:30PM
dadoes

The belt will eventually break if it's torn/split and a piece is flopping. A bad idler can cause a broken belt if it jams completely. Bad idler rollers can wear down the roller shafts if the shafts aren't yet worn.

Although it's not likely a part of your problem, metal-on-metal squealing from worn front support felt must be corrected immediately or the edge of the drum and/or front panel will wear down. I've seen cases of the problem being ignored, and the edge of the drum tore completely through the front panel.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 2:14PM
kayakluv

thanks! I think I'll get it fixed sooner rather than later. you've been a great help.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
front loading washer doesn't get clothes clean
8 years ago I bought a GE profile front loading washing...
slogan3561
Tried vinegar method to stretch shrunk wool pants but failed
Two 100% sweaters and one pair of 65% wool with 35%...
jjjjade H
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™