Reasonable ft-candles for kitchen general lighting (at floor leve

joehoustonJanuary 4, 2009

Hello folks!

The question: What is a reasonable foot-candle or lumen/sqft number for kitchen general lighting?

The background: Replacing a 6 unit 4' 40W T12 construct on the 9 ft high kitchen ceiling. That structure, combined with the single 150W R40 over the sink, yielded a crazy bright kitchen. Abusing some of the Halo calcs, just for the T12's in the 9x13 space, yields about 80 fc at floor level (roughly a 50% lumen deterioration from source to floor). I'd like to go with six 150W R40's with a dimmer (including the over sink lamp) which will apparently drop the fc to about 50. Alas, simple install would use IC units apparently limited to 65-75W and yield about 20 fc at floor level. A bit more effort to get the non-ic 50 fc. I think the R30 bulbs in 6" cans look wrong so the 5" cans would be used, limited to 65W for IC use, further lowering the fc to about 18. And looking ahead to potential LED units, about 11 fc. Based on some of the other area lighting in the house, I'm guessing about 10 fc at floor level is about the "floor"???

Sorry for the number focus, an engineer by training (ChE) and over designing typical (dimmer a nice thing). Thanks in advance for the advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

30 - 50 foot candles at counter top level is desirable. Overhead general lighting can be supplemented with task under cabinet lighting.

So far, retrofit LED by Halo and LLF need 6" housings.

Halo H7UICAT housings up the wattage capacity versus H7ICAT.

The right airtite reflector trim in a H5ICT housing can take a 75 watt par 30 long neck.

Philips has 60 watt par 30s that put out lumens similar to 75 watt par 30s.

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 10:35PM
joehouston

Thanks very much for the feedback dim4fun! Knowing that 30-50 fc target range is most helpful.

Pretty sure I'm going to go ahead with 6" cans for the flexibility. If I convert to LED units in the future, the counter level light is lowered to about 14 fc. With the existing under cabinet fluorescents, do you think that adequate?

Bookmark   January 5, 2009 at 2:56PM
dim4fun

LED isn't as accurate with color as incandescent but can dim better than fluorescent with the right brand, if you need to dim it. There are different qualities of LEDs. The inexpensive types can be terrible. To up the fc with LED you can put fixtures closer together. There should be improvement in LED lumen output. The issue is with cooling the driver inside of the housing. More efficient drivers should help in the future.

Bookmark   January 6, 2009 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Better to over illuminate living room but add a dimmer?
187 square foot living room. electrician wants to install...
evanderleeuw
Please help us get rid of buzz from dimming LED can lights
I cross posted this in Kitchens, but am hopeful someone...
laughablemoments
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Which would you pick for an LED step light / night light
We are in the rough-in stage of our new build, and...
Sun43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™