What Type of Base To Build For a Top Loading Washer

chipster_2007September 25, 2011

I am placing a top loading washer and dryer in my basement and wish to have it elevated to avoid any possible damage with potential water issues. What would be the best/easiest way to do that? I understand they have pedestals for front loading machines, but not top loading. Is this correct? I have thought of making a cement base or building a sturdy wood frame. I have also considered getting some cement cinder blocks and just putting a sheet of plywood over them but I don't know if the motion of the washer/dryer over time would somehow cause some serious shifting of the machines that would lead to injury. Are there any other possibilities I should consider? Would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

If you expect that much flooding, I'd be more concerned how to avoid or minimize that in the first place!

Nevertheless, a frame of pressure treated wood anchored into the floor with concrete screws and a 1/2" min. ply wood base is the safest arrangement. Then anchor the washer into the base in case it decides to take a walk.

Forget blocks. Reminds me of all those geniuses crushed under their vehicles because they wanted to save the $20 for jack stands.

Be sure your receptacles or breakers are GFI protected!

And don't do your laundry in your hip waders.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 9:30PM
suburbanmd

Elevating a top-loader could make it hard to reach down to the bottom of the tub, especially for a short person. I'm not convinced it's necessary. Are there any water-sensitive components near the bottom of the cabinet?

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 10:00AM
elbits

I was thinking of elevating my dryer only, with a pallet.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
HELP!! Dryer side vent question/Help (Samsung)
Hello! does anyone have a dryer that they had to use...
peasknees
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™