GE Washer-Can't change cleaning modes w/o draining!!!

goddiSeptember 21, 2011

I can't believe what GE had done to its clothes washers. I just got a 4250 model, top load. With my prior GE washer, I had full control of everything. I have several issues with this new unit but here is my main problem:

After you have started a cycle of washing clothes, and if you want to change the washing mode (say from Cotton/Heavy to Cotton/Medium), the machine will stop and drain all the water and soap out of the drum and start over.

I was told by the salesman after I complained about this, that all I had to do was to push the Pause button, make the change, and it will not drain. Not true. It still drains and starts over. (However, on one attempt, it did not drain but continued to fill the tub...not sure what I might have done differently).

However, the GE Help line told me that the washing machine will drain the water/soap and start over again if I make a change once it has started. "That is the way it was designed". (I can't believe it....).

So, has anyone found the right combination of button-pushing to be able to change the cleaning mode once it has started its operation...without it draining everything???

Thanks... Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sshrivastava

I have a front loader, but my machine behaves in exactly the same manner. You must cancel the current cycle before starting a new one, causing the machine to drain. Why would you want to start with one cycle and then change it? Why not just set it to the proper cycle in the first place?

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 11:48AM
goddi

Well, maybe you just want to just change the type of cleaning cycle after it has started. The guys at GE must have been in some dark basement when they designed this feature. Just because you might want to change the cleaning mode, they decide that it is best to drain all the hot water and soap out of the drum and start over? What a bunch of nincompoops. They try to make a more efficient machine by dumping perfectly good water and soap just because you turn the dial to a different cleaning mode? I really can't grasp any logic to that.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 4:54PM
mrb627

Try this:

Push Pause,
Reset the water level,
Change the cycle,
Push start,
Once it starts to fill, change the water level and see if it starts washing.

MRB

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 9:18AM
suburbanmd

I think the manufacturers are just doing whatever is simplest, when it comes to whether a change in cycle forces the machine to drain. With the old mechanical timers, it would've been very complicated to force the machine to drain when you moved the timer between cycles. With the modern electronic machines, it's far simpler to "start over" when the cycle is changed, rather than trying to figure out whether the existing fill is usable for the new cycle. Simpler is better, IMO. Less chance of bugs that way.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer Smell
We have a two year old Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer...
joechsle
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™