recessed lighting for living room

tatelandJanuary 24, 2010

Any advice on recessed lighting for a 12x24 living room? suggestions for brands of cans and sizes. Anyone like the adjustable cans?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

For help with lighting design one needs to know more.

height of ceiling and flat or slope
obstacles on the ceiling
color of room
furniture plan
art work, collection, etc. placement and sizes

Lighting a room requires a mix of general, task and accent lighting. You'll need to be able to clean, read and enjoy your art and furnishings as well as entertain. Each different use of the room can require different levels of lighting from the different types which is called a "scene". A reading scene typically lights your favorite chair well with the other room lighting subdued to both save energy and to also create a calm soothing environment. Cleaning is everything full blast so you can see every spec of dust. Entertaining for young people is low general lighting with the art higher to stand out. Older eyes need more light so the light levels depend on who is being entertained. These are just some thoughts to explain why your post needs a lot more info.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 2:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tateland

I have 8' flat ceilings and no other lighting except 1 floor lamp. We have a sectional couch, a console table against one wall with a picture above it and a fire place in the corner, kind of a strange place for a fireplace. The house was built in 1958. We are thinking about adjustable but not sure I like that "eyeball" look.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Kitchen light fixture inadequate.
I love school lights but I need at least 400 watts...
Anne Jones
Please help us get rid of buzz from dimming LED can lights
I cross posted this in Kitchens, but am hopeful someone...
laughablemoments
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™