Pros/cons of a steam washer/dryer? What model?

kitkat3September 6, 2010

I like the idea of being able to sanitize items that have had pets laying on them. So as far as I can tell, the only washer and dryer that do this for under $800 each (on sale for $764.99 at BB)are the LG 5101. However, truthfully I wasn't thinking of getting such a big washer (5 cu ft). I am a single person with a dog and cat. I usually do one dark wash and one white wash with different kinds of clothing in each. I don't wash 10 towels at a time or 10 pairs of jeans--I don't even own that many!

Do the washers/dryers that sanitize do a good job on smaller loads? What would be a good choice for a single person?

I appreciate your thoughts. This is my first purchase and I'm nervous about buying the wrong thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gates1

Washers that do not use steam, just a sanitizer cycle do a great job. My 9 year old HE3T has this, no cleaning issues with it at all, it still surprises me to this day. I got home from work yesterday, my shirt was covered in oily machine dirt as I had to clean out the sump. It all came out using detergent and sani cycle

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 12:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moon1234

Steam is nothing more than a marketing scam. Ever hear of an IRON? Save the $300 or more they will charge for steam feature and buy yourself a Rowenta iron and a good ironing board. You will be happier.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Do HE TL washer really Clean?
I have had a traditional Maytag TL washer for the last...
jungleexplorer
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™