Friend for lunch - menu

dedtiredJuly 5, 2012

If you are having a friend over for a light, simple (yet delicious) lunch, what would you serve? This would be a ladies lunch in the summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

I would serve a homemade tomato tart, fresh green salad, iced tea, and fresh fruit, maybe with thin cookies - good ones purchased or homemade. I can supply the tomato tart recipe and make-ahead slice n' bake cookie recipe if you want.

Teresa

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:17AM
ruthanna_gw

With this heat, I'd make a salad with chicken and fruit similar to the appetizing one Linda ( doucanoe) posted on WFD and chilled minted pea soup.

The soup is easy. Just cook some chopped celery and leeks or onions in chicken broth until soft. Add a bag of frozen peas and cook until done. Cool slightly, add chopped fresh mint and puree in a blender or food processor or use a stick blender. You can blend in some milk, cream or yogurt but I usually just add enough to get a nice texture. Serve chilled or warm.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:30AM
caminnc

I might have chicken salad on either a crescent roll or artisan bread. Plate it with some fresh grapes/fruit. Ice tea or lemonade and maybe a cheesecake for dessert.

Second choice might be she-crab soup and ceasar salad.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:39AM
dixiedog_2007

Quiche served with a mixed green salad or cold gazpacho soup.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:40AM
lindac

Tomatoes here aren't good enough for gazpacho yet....that would be my august or September menu...

Probably a chicken salad of some sort...maybe with pecans and pineapple bits, fruit, likely a melon slice with some raspberries because they are so good now, and a muffin.
Home made lemon icecream for dessert.

Or I might make a fritatta with broccoli, green onion and a little tomato for color, fruit and grissini.

Or perhaps chilled potato soup with a side of grilled shrimp on a skewer, and fruit and a lemon bar for dessert?

One time when a friend said lets have lunch...I'll stop by at noon and we can decide where to go....so I scurried around and made a spinach salad with hard boiled egg, bacon mushrooms and a sweet hot dressing and focaccia warm from the oven....and apple cake from the freezer for dessert!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 11:04AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Salad with whatever caught my eye, fresh sauteed steelhead trout, some kind of bread, perhaps corn muffins, a decadent dessert. Ice tea. Maybe that ricotta cheesecake from the weekends paper. Someone posted it here, I had saved it too.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 11:54AM
compumom

It was me who posted the ricotta cheesecake from USA Today's Sunday Magazine courtesy of Ellie Krieger!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ricotta Cheesecake

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 1:59PM
centralcacyclist

"...some fava beans and a nice chianti."

;)

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 2:54PM
lbpod

Naturally, you ladies try to impress each other, but if
it were a guys get together the menu would be
baloney sangwiches and bear, (beer). And everybody
would be thrilled.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 3:34PM
dedtired

All kinds of good ideas here. I guess I just needed to be sure that whatever I have will be okay. A cold soup is appealing in the stupendously hot weather that we have been having. The Ricotta Cheesecake sounds like a winner.

lbpod, maybe I will invite a guy over for lunch. It would be a lot less bother.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 3:48PM
maddielee

Teresea_nc, please post your tomato tart recipe. Thanks.

ML

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 5:14PM
jasdip

I love serving Ina's roasted veggies with orzo salad. It makes a nice lunch with "something".

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 6:27PM
dedtired

Jasdip, someone brought that to my house for a dinner once. It was great.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 6:33PM
teresa_nc7

Fresh Tomato Tart

use a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom

basic pastry crust for 1 pie shell
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 TB chopped fresh basil
4-5 ripe fresh tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

more fresh basil for garnish

Heat oven to 400 F. Line the tart pan with the pastry. Spread cheese over the crust. Top cheese with the basil, then cover tart with the sliced tomatoes, arranging the slices as evenly as possible. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Drizzle the oil all over the top of the tart.

Bake 30-40 minutes. Garnish the slightly cooled tart with more of the basil, torn or chopped. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Very light and elegant! A nice dish for lunch or a light dinner when it is hot outside.

Enjoy, ML and all!
Teresa

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:03PM
lpinkmountain

I'd take it as an opportunity to make that "Summer Torte" by whatever her name was, Burros?? Miriam???? You know the one, it's basically a cake with fruit on top!

Seven layer dip with baked tortilla chips
Margaritas or Sangria
Grilled salmon with pineapple salsa
Latin style potato salad (with a lime/cilantro dressing, I posted the recipe in last month's "New Recipe Review")
Green salad with cucumbers
Torte
Iced coffee if desired

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:08PM
ynnej

Lpink, I don't know how I missed that potato salad recipe. I just looked it up and it sounds fantastic. Love that it's not mayonnaise-y like most. Barnmom, you make me laugh!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:58PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

A caprese salad or panzanella salad (ina's), a piece of fish and a cookie would make me happy.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 9:16PM
lpinkmountain

Sorry I butchered her name, it's MARION Burros, cookbook author, and here's the recipe:

Summer Torte by Marion Burros
Originally posted by Jojoco, such a great cook!

1 stick butter, softened (I always use unsalted)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour; sifted
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
pinch of salt
fruit of choice; sliced into wedges (I used about 7 plums. Peaches, nectarines,strawberries all work great and in combination)
cinnamon sugar for top

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and add sugar. Beat well. Add eggs and beat. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to batter. Mix. Spoon globs to greased 9 or 10 inch springform. Use a knife to spread batter to cover entire pan. Arrange fruit on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (amount depends on the sweetness of the fruit).
Bake for 45 min.

I must admit that I like to top it with streusel in addition to the fruit, or at the very least some of those big sugar crystals (I use "Sugar in the Raw" for this).

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 8:52PM
jimster

Teresa,

I'm saving that one for tomato harvest time.

Jim

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 9:57PM
dedtired

Thanks for those yummy recipes! Perfect for this time of year.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 10:09PM
annie1992

Hey, Jim, are you saving that one for tomato harvest time? (grin)

Me too.

Annie

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 10:24PM
sheshebop

I would serve a steak salad. I broil a small filet rare, then chill it and slice it into skinny curls. The salad is spinach, romaine, pickled beets, dried cherries, sweet onions sliced in rings, black olives, sometimes boiled egg, toasted slivered almonds, and topped with a fig or pomegranate balsamic. You can add oil also, but I usually skip it cause I don't want the calories. It is also lovely to buy some edible flowers for the top to dress it up. then top it with the steak curls. Some good crusty bread, A nice iced tea or summer cocktail and lemon cream sandwiches for dessert. Darn, I am getting hungry.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 3:53PM
dixiedog_2007

Annie LMAO! Enjoy Jim and I mean that in all honesty. I love tomato tarts.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 4:04PM
dedtired

Oooo, yummy, Sherry. Thanks for that.

Jimster -- enjoy your tart, enjoy your tart, enjoy your tart.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 5:27PM
publickman

I make something very similar to Teresa's tomato tart, but I use ciabatta bread, sliced in half lengthwise, instead of a pastry crust - the rest of the ingredients are the same, although sometimes I spread garlic butter on the bread first and sometimes I use part Provolone or Asiago cheese. I have lots of tomato plant seedlings (I think), and so I hope some of them produce tomatoes. I also have basil seedlings that should be ready at the same time. I've noticed that if I plant them in June, I get a very nice late harvest in September or October and some of the plants will last into the winter. So my harvest time will not coincide with Jim's.

At this time, I think I would make a Crab Louis salad or a Crab Asparagus soup, depending on the weather.

Lars

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Cheddar Cheese Bread
Cheddar Cheese Bread This was a 750g batch - two loaves. Normally...
ann_t
What's Wrong with my Chocolate Chips? They Didn't Melt!
I was making the matzah toffee. No biggie, right? Though...
plllog
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
Feta, please explain
Last week, DH and I were in New Orleans. We ate at...
bbstx
Sponsored Products
Ceramic Flatware Caddy
$175.00 | Horchow
Dixie Seating 3 pc. Spindle Rocking Chair Set with Side Table - Unfinished Multi
$459.00 | Hayneedle
Doppler Market 8.5-foot Patio Umbrella
Overstock.com
Celebration Jute Multi Chindi Braid Hand-woven Rug (4' Round)
Overstock.com
Natural & Blue Cheshire Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Reversal 11 Piece Outdoor Patio Dining Set in Tan Brown
$2,279.00 | LexMod
BLux | Adolight 2 Pendant Light
YLighting
Adrian Leather Chair - NAVY
$3,499.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™