Recessed lighting differences

basiliskJanuary 6, 2010

Hello all,

I am getting my kitchen renovated, and I've gotten some varying opinions regarding recessed lighting from various people.

My GC is recommending Halo 4" PAR20 cans (H99T) at ~$50 each (material only). An electrician is recommending LiteLine 4" MR16 cans with an edison socket - not GU10 (HV4-HR01-NC) at $30 each (material only). Both are line voltage. The electrician thinks the MR16 is a bit better aesthetically. My understanding is that the MR16 typically puts out a little bit more light. Is there really much of a difference? (Or is the real difference in the light bulb, since the socket seems to be the same.)

I would also ideally like to switch to LED bulbs later on when they've improved...

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

I suspect these line voltage lamps will put out half the light with half the life for half the cost of low voltage MR16 fixtures. Because of the heat of retrofit LED lamps, adding them later will probably require a further reduction in light output.

Look at these fixtures in a display with the proper lamps in them before making a decision.

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Recessed lighting - Remodel (yes/no) LED Can and Trim/Engine (model)
Hi, I want to install recessed lighting in my house...
firsthome_sfh
Better to over illuminate living room but add a dimmer?
187 square foot living room. electrician wants to install...
evanderleeuw
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™