Clustering swag lamps- how to deal with multiple cords?

danielahiJanuary 29, 2011

Hi there!

I have 3 identical swag lamps that I would like to hang at varying lengths, as a cluster. They have a bamboo "cage" around an off-white canvas cylinder.

In any case. How does one hang multiple swag lamps together and accommodate all those cords and switches? I'm sure I would need one hook above each lamp, but then how do I deal with the rest of the cord- do I bunch them together before running them down to a power strip and just turn them all on individually? It just seems like no matter what, it is going to look tacky with all those cords running on the wall.

How do people do this? I know I've seen it done before...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

Maybe some cable wrap or split loom would help.

http://cableorganizer.com/woven-wrap/

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html

This is not an endorsement of or recommendation for that particular vendor. I've never used them. That's just what came up when I searched for "wire loom."

If you're looking for something to encase the wires going down a wall, you might try this:

http://tools.wiremold.com/diy/products/cordmate.asp

I've used that stuff to cover and route speaker wires.

Bookmark   January 29, 2011 at 2:35AM
danielahi

Thanks for the recommendations- the third one may work!

Bookmark   January 29, 2011 at 12:25PM
brickeyee

You can also make a box that holds as many receptacles as needed with a cord to plug in and a switch to turn the lights on.

A metal box should be used, but you can the hide the metal under wood to make it less conspicuous.

Switches available include push buttons (some can control multiple lights with multiple pushes of the same button) or a separate button for each light and another to turn them all on at once.

You are pretty much limited only by your knowledge of how to wire them up and how much time & money you want to invest.

Bookmark   January 30, 2011 at 2:59PM
susieq07

If you are talking about down a wall, bring them together then cover with a hallow molding, paint or stain same as the wall for a nice neat, clean look..
this is one dh did in our media room corner, if you can bring to a corner all the better..we have a cabinet below so they are not seen at all, he used cove molding here, glue in place.

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Brightest Longest Lasting Outdoor Flood Light?
Hey I'm looking for suggestions for outdoor flood lights...
rph1234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™