Help choose LED cans for new build... prices?

momto3kiddosJanuary 5, 2013

We are building a new home on the family farm and we are leaning towards LED can lights. I have read lots of great things about the Cree CR6. My electrician has not installed LED's before so I was wondering what the most economical way to install is... standard 6" cans with Cree CR6bulbs, Cree housings, Edison base cans and Edison Cree lamps? What dimmers do you recommend for these lights?

Are there good LED products out there for outdoor flood light use? I am thinking of all the places I do not want to change a light bulb for 10-20 yrs. :)

What type of dimmable UCL do you rec for kitchen?

I know that Maryland has a subsidy for LED lights at time of purchase. Is it worth it to drive up there to get some if we are having a large number of lights? The house is 5000 sq ft and we are planning around 80 recessed cans. When I add them up it seems unrealistic, but we want 4 cans in each BR along with central fixture. Cans lighting hallways and kitchen-living area, mudroom, office, laundry.

Any other advice gladly taken! Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Cree housings could be slightly more costly than cans from HD/ Lowes.

Lutron CL dimmers.

Direct wire UCL - Philips eW.

For outdoor flood lighting, get some ideas from Creelighting.com

The DIY UCL Continuation thread and LED recessed lighting guide on this forum contain more information.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 11:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacob-md

I'm in Maryland, and I'm not aware of a current residential subsidy for the CR6 units. Before January 1, they were showing as little as $20 from Home Depot in New Jersey, but they appear to be back to $35 up there now. They are still showing $20 in store 6228, Bloomfield CT and elsewhere in CT. I am seeing $25 in Portland, OR, and in the Pittsburgh area, and $30 in Virginia Beach.

Oddly, the 5000K version of the CR6 is not being rebated, and is $37 everywhere. I'd really like a 3500K version without paying the premium for the LR6.

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
Buzzing LEDs
I'm exploring LEDs for a new build, and so far, not...
mtvhike
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
Sponsored Products
Nuova Rust 20-Inch Wide One-Light Flush Mount with Frost Glass
$172.00 | Bellacor
Charmeuse II Satin Twin XL-size Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Creative Creations Weathervane Deer Weather Instrument - GXF9006
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Moonrays Path & Landscape Lights Outdoor Black Low-Voltage 1-Watt LED
$22.92 | Home Depot
LED 4" Retrofit kit For IC New Construction
$66.98 | Lamps Plus