Need help with Whirlpool direct drive washer no spin

e50095September 3, 2010

I would really appreciate some technical advice on this one. Here's what I have. A five year olf Whirlpool direct drive washer. It fills, agitates, drains, but does not spin. On the spin cycle, when I look underneath, I hear the motor running, see the motor coupler spinning, and see the clutch spinning. I've tried to research as much as I can, but I'm at a crossroads. I understand that since the motor runs, the lid switch, although a common problem, is good. I also read that since it agitates and the clutch is spinning, the coupler is good. If those are both true, I'm now lost. I read a little about the drive block, and possible transmission problems, but I ned advice on where to go from here. I sincerely appreciate any input you can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dualref

It could be a clutch problem. If it was the coupler, you wouldn't get any agitating action either. See what the shaft is doing when in spin mode. If it's not spinning, most likely it's a clutch. Not an expensive repair.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 7:57AM
e50095

I replaced the clutch thinking that was the problem....no joy. Can I assume the transmission is okay since the clutch was spinning?

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 8:35AM
dadoes

If the clutch drum (shiny chrome disc atop the tranmission) turns during spin, then the problem is not inside the transmission. If it doesn't spin then all, or at least part, of the problem is inside the tranny.

Is the lid switch accessible to trigger it manually with the lid open? If so, set the machine to spin, press the lid switch to get it going, and manually turn the basket clockwise. Does that help the spin get going? The spin brake may not be releasing if you can't turn the basket or it's very difficult to turn.

This link is a service manual for direct-drive washers at Whirlpool's tech site.
L-55

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 11:37AM
e50095

You're the man, brother. Pulled the pump/tranny/motor assembly out and you hit it the nail on the head. The brake was hanging up. A little cleaning and reinstall and I'm good to go. Six loads down with no problems. I had checked for what a replacement machine would be, and a new Kenmore Elite is $925. My total investment on the new clutch was $50. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Do HE TL washer really Clean?
I have had a traditional Maytag TL washer for the last...
jungleexplorer
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
HELP!! Dryer side vent question/Help (Samsung)
Hello! does anyone have a dryer that they had to use...
peasknees
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™