105w cfl torchiere

JetsamroverJanuary 3, 2014

Hi, I'm trying to set my folks up with a living room lighting solution. Its a big room, but is currently dark and poorly lit. They don't want more lamps they have to turn on, nor do they want to install any recessed lighting.

First I admit I know nothing on the subject.

I was wondering if anyone has experience or recommendations about using a 150w incandescent torchiere lamp with a 105w or 150w cfl to put out about a 300w-500w equivalent? I'm thinking it would just bounce enough light off the ceiling to light the whole room?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

Halogen would work well to put out a lot of light, and the torchieres usually have toe switches. I think Lamps Plus has some LED torchieres - I tend to avoid CFLs for one reason or another.

Have you considered installing wall sconces?

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 6:09PM
Jetsamrover

Wall or ceiling lights are what they want to avoid. I was originally looking for halogen torchieres but they don't make 300 or 500w anymore. I guess they burned too many houses down. The highest I've found was 180, there was one 300 for over a $1000 dollars though.

Are there LED torchieres that put out a 300-500w equivalent?

What are your reasons for avoiding CFLs? They seemed to be the easiest way to get that much light bounced from a standing lamp.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 7:55PM
mattpete

I came across these wacky looking bulbs, and I immediately thought about your torchiere question. I'm not sure if they are bright enough, but I think they would be perfect for single-bulb torchiere:

http://www.maxlite.com/products/pancake

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 11:44PM
David

A cfl equivalent consumes about 45w. As the typical torchiere directs light towards the ceiling, you'd need more light output.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™