Pendant lights above island in kitchen with 8ft ceilings

lrumbarApril 25, 2007

Hi All -- I am trying to get some feedback on what people think about pendant lights on 8 foot ceilings? We are getting a new 8ft by 4 ft island with our new kitchen, and my original thought was to do 3 pendant lights above it, but we tore out 2 walls so the kitchen is open to both the living and dining area so I wouldn't want to block our view. We thought the pendants could drop down about 12-14 inches and we could still see, but that seems really short to me?? Any feedback?? Thanks! Leah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmfromil

Leah, what did you end up doing?

I have an 8ft ceiling in my kitchen and am hesitant to put in pendant lights over my island. I'm less concerned about blocking a view and more concerned about the 'look'. Does a pendant light from an 8ft ceiling look out of proportion? Any advice or pics would be appreciated.

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 7:32AM
scubated

I have the same question. My kitchen cabinet designer says that pendants look too short with an 8 foot ceiling. So I should get recessed instead. Any other thoughts here?

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 5:25PM
bigdog0598

there is no min for celing height for pendents.....i'd stick to the low volatge pendents they look much better also hang on a thin coax cable as compared to a thick rod or thick wire....check out some of the applacation shots at lbl lighting web site and tech lighting web site.....pm with any questions i'm a lighting designer so can help out.....remember that pendents hang about 2.5 ft off a counter top....just above eye level.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 4:16AM
More Discussions
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™