7/4 Food (pics, pics, pics!!)

dcarch7July 15, 2013

Made a few things for July Fourth weekend.

Chicken wings were on sale a few weeks ago $0.90 a lb.

Two flavors smoked wings, one hot and one not so hot.

Porter House steaks and Sir Loin steaks were on sale $4.99 a lb. Sous vided and grilled.

dcarch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

As always, a feast for the eyes as well as for the palate.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:46AM
rob333

Now why you gonna straighten out the ol' crooked wing? It took me forever to figure out what those were! You just make me smile.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 3:43PM
solsthumper

Rockin' Robin, that was my initial thought.

But I venture to say no self-respecting chicken would ever pose its wings for the camera, unless Dcarch's capable hands were behind it.

Sol

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 4:29PM
chas045

I see grilled okra there dcarch. I would like to know how it came out and what's on it. I hope it wasn't still slimy.? DW demands that I plant plenty of okra so I can serve plenty of fried okra. However, this year it appears that I will likely have a severe excess and would like something besides fried and chicken gumbo.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 5:07PM
artsyshell

Looks delicious! Great photos!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:23PM
dcarch7

Thank you everyone.

Chas045, Grilled okra will still be "slimy". Slimy is what okra all about. Deep fried okra gives more textural contrast, and makes slimy less obvious.

Regarding the way I make chicken wings, there are reasons why I am not doing it the normal zigzag way:

1. you can eat with one hand, and recipes with lots of sauce will not make your face a mess.

2. Wings is about crispy skin, with the wing straightened, the skin is stretched out evenly and it gets more crispy.

3. Takes less room on the grill.

Give it a try. You may like it.

dcarch

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 6:42AM
shaxhome

Dcarch...as always, a magnificent display and I'm sure it tastes every bit as good as it looks.

BUT, I know you are a great aficionado of the sous vide method of cooking. Please tell me why all that extra effort, time, implements etc, in this case for that beef.

Wouldn't it be quicker and just as tasty to grill or fry it? I really want to understand your reasoning. Is it just an art form you enjoy, or is there a taste reason?

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:59AM
dcarch7

Thanks Shaxhome.

Very good question. There are very important benefits for the sous vide method.

1. Less meat shrinkage, may be 5% less. This adds up to a lot of money.

2. Cheaper cuts of meat. I recently did London broil ($2.49 a lb) medium rare, and tender like expensive steaks. This will save a lot of money also.

3. Precise quality of meat done-ness. Rare, medium rare, medium ----- it is all up to you to set the temperature, nothing can go wrong. No-overcooking or under-cooking. Fool-proof.

4. Makes no difference how big the meat is, from one thin breast meat to a whole turkey. Set it and forget it.

5. Makes no different starting temperature, from frozen to room temperature. No need to poke around with a probe thermometer.

6. Re-heating without over cooking.

7. No need to "rest" the meat.

In this case, the steaks were frozen, I put them in the sous vide cooker with a little seasoning, set the temperature at 129 F for one and 133 F for the other.

A few hours later, 5 minutes before meal time, fire up the cast iron grill to red hot and grilled the steaks 1 1/2 minutes each side to sear.

Perfect steaks. Perfect hot steaks. Guaranteed every time.

dcarch

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:07AM
shaxhome

Thanks for the explanation, but at the risk of boring you and others, can you pls explain the set and forget temperature?

No probes? Are you measuring water temps? If so, how do you know how long you need to cook, say, a turkey versus a thin steak? Or a frozen chunk. Do you have a timing chart? Just from trial and error?

I realise I could Google all this, but rather get it from a serious practitioner!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:41AM
dcarch7

Not boring at all. That's why I share ideas here.

1. The temperature in a sous vide cooker is controlled by digital PID electronics. PID stands for Proportional-Integral-Derivative. It has logic programmed in to compensate for characteristic of the cooking vessel, the heating element, and other variables to keep set temperature accurately (better than +- one degree F) for the entire cooking process.

So if you like beef cooked at 130 F (rare) That is exactly what you will get. Set it and forget it.

2. No Poking with a probe. Water has a lot more heating capacity than air, especially moving water. Therefore, if the water is set at 130 F by PID and moving, A big frozen turkey will be thawed in a very short time, instead of three days in the refrigerator.

3. I don't have a temperature/timing chart because I mostly Google, there are plenty of information for any kind of meat (and vegetable).

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to post.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 13:48

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™