need some advice for heat pump please!

mayhem69December 2, 2012

Hi, i live in SE Pa. We have a summer/winter hookup and the price of oil is getting ridiculous. i have been thinking about possibly getting a heat pump to heat/cool just the front of my house because that is where we spend all our time.
It would be 2 very big rooms, sunroom is approx. 500 sq. ft. with a sloped 12 ft. ceiling.
The other room is our family room and about 400 sq. ft. with 14 ft. sloped ceiling.
I was wondering if i have the right idea getting a high efficient heat pump, i do not know.
It would be really easy because those 2 rooms are against my garage and that is where i thought i would put the pump. So i guess it would be a piece of cake for duct.
Also, i know nothing about the units , just that i want a really high efficient unit.
Can anyone chime in and point me in the right direction? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veesubotee

Probably a ductless mini-split HP to serve those 2 rooms. No air handler in garage; no ductwork to run. Also, might have difficulty locating a HP small enough to serve those rooms.

V

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 7:04AM
mayhem69

But if i find a heat pump small enough for those 2 rooms, would it be wise for me to do that? could i save that much on oil?
I googled and found some small heat pumps rated 24,000 btu, 30k btu and 36k btu. I guess one of these rated heat pumps would be good for my needs.
But like i stated earlier, would i be able to save money in the winter keeping my oil down to 60 and using this?

This post was edited by mayhem69 on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 11:24

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:53AM
neohioheatpump

I"m assuming you don't have ductwork. If thats the case the best thing for you is a mini-split. Find a contractor that can install these. You may need more or less btu's for your place depending on how well insulated you place is. I can't see more than 24,000 btu's. Could be much less.
It would be much cheaper than heating with oil if your electric is not outrageous.

If you do have ductwork I would get a regular heatpump and heat/cool your whole house with it. It wouldn't be much more expensive than the cost of a mini-split.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:24PM
mayhem69

no, i do not have ductwork and the install i think would be very easy, my garage is on the inside walls of both rooms that need to be heated/cooled.
Does anyone know how to figure what size unit i would need. My sunroom is kinda cold to begin with and has a sloped 13 ft. ceiling. The other room, family room has a 12 ft. ceiling also.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:33PM
veesubotee

What do you do about heating the rest of your home? How many square feet? Layout/floors/basement?

While your 'wall' installation may be a piece of cake, you would need to have a lineset (refrigeration pipes) run to a (outside) traditional unit.

V

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 1:01PM
mayhem69

the rest of my home has oil baseboard heat. We have 3 zones, 1 upstairs with 2 bedrooms and bathroom, 2 downstairs, 1 zone for front half of house (dining room and bedroom), 1 zone for primary living space of house , big family room, kitchen, and hopefully soon to be sunroom.
I dont think running the refrigerant line would be a problem.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 1:41PM
mayhem69

I think i found what i've been looking for, check em out, gonna install 2 of these.
http://www.younits.com/fujitsu-15rls2-wall-ductless-air-conditioner-heat-pump-21.5-seer-14500-btu-1.5-ton-p-11474.html?utm_source=Google+Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping&gclid=CJCp0a7UgbQCFUWo4AodbmQAVQ

I can also get $1400 cash back with rebates from Fujitsu and my local electric co.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Geothermal in new construction.
Our house is currently under construction, and while...
bethmcg
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Seeking input on HVAC replacement
I am getting ready to do a full replacement. Current...
daddio76
Sponsored Products
Coral Coast Lakeside 17 x 17 Outdoor Furniture Seat Pad - TRENDM020-1-AFS001-APP
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Swanstone Kitchen Dual Mount Composite 15x15x6 1-Hole Bar Sink in Winter Wheat
$87.00 | Home Depot
Southern Textiles Bunk Bed Quilted Bedcap Coverlet - 46BC100BL
$39.71 | Hayneedle
Rave Full/Queen Headboard & Night Stand
$349.99 | zulily
Regina Indoor/Outdoor Rug 5'3" x 7'6" - CHARCOAL
$199.00 | Horchow
Wall Mounted Frosted Glass Soap Dispenser
TheBathOutlet
Hillsdale Westown Wine Rack In Nickel/Espresso