Blueberries -- pints, pounds, = confused!

stir_fryiJuly 13, 2010

So Kroger has 1 pint of blueberries for 1.38 and 2lbs for 3.88. If a pint is 16 oz -- doesn't that mean that 2 pints is a better deal? Or is that only 16 FLUID oz?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

That's just for fluids. Looking at some blueberry recipes, it seems that a cup is about 5 oz. So 2lb is roughly 6.4 cups or 3.2 pints. $3.88/3.2 = $1.21/pint. So 2lb is cheaper, but not by much. Assuming my weight conversion is accurate.

Check my math. Haven't had coffee yet ;-)

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 9:14AM
blueberrier1

Larger BBs are lighter weight per pint-not by much- than the smaller berries in my at home tests. Best to buy by weight-if large purchase. Most of the commercial varieties are in a rather narrow size range. Little Giant is separated as its tiny sized berry is directed to the muffin market. BTW, commercial growers SHAKE the bushes for the crop. A pertinent question may be how long the berries have been in storage. Blues are probably the longest 'storable' berry of all.

Many home growers and pick your own folks have wider ranging sizes and flavors available and usually sell by weight. My berries range from small (Friendship-a WI wild variety,) to giant 5 amd 25 cent sizes. ALL taste great fresh or in a Blueberry Buckle with almond streusel. Enjoy this all American fruit!!

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 10:48AM
beth4

I confess I'm older.....so things may have changed. But I remember the rhyme we learned in school decades ago: "A pint's a pound the world around." So, I've always thought a pint weighed 1 lb. That's not correct?

However it works out, I always buy the largest container of blueberries because we eat so many of them every day -- fresh, in everything. Locally, Costco has the best price on blueberries, and the most plentiful supply.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 11:44AM
foodonastump

Nope that's just for fluids that have the same mass as water. Think of a pint of cotton balls, not a pound, right?

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 12:35PM
chase_gw

I love metric..........

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 1:18PM
foodonastump

I don't know Sharon, a liter of cotton balls doesn't weigh a kilo, but a liter of water does! Sure it's an easier system, but the real difference is when people are smart enough to measure things by weight rather than volume when appropriate.

How are recipes typically written in Canada? Do you guys have to argue about how much a cup of flour is or do they call for it by weight?

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 1:38PM
chase_gw

But FOAS cotton balls would never be measured in litres and no one would ever weigh water in kilos. That's why I love metric. Volume and weight don't use the same nomenclature.

In recent times recipes are generally written with both measurements. Today I was making a brine for pork and the recipe says.... 42 grams (8 tsps)

As for arguing about how much a cup of flour is....FOAS , Canadians don't argue....that would be rude ; )

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™