Help need a quick answer, before making final payment

mea5December 10, 2012

We just finished a deck rebuild. In the process and in the quote by our builder was to relocate 2 A/C units. The units have been moved, the job is complete (with the exception of the A/C being functional) The builder said he will come back in the spring, as he cannot do it with temps below 60 degrees.

Does this sound legit? How should I handle ensuring that he does come back? He is asking for final payment tomorrow.

Hope one of you experts is on tonight! Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

He is correct in that running the AC in cold temperatures could cause damage. How old were the condensers? Moving old AC equipment is risky. You may have a leak next year. Have the units been connected and recharged with refrigerant? If you have a leak you will see it by the spring.

Ideally you should withhold some amount of money so he will have his HVAC tech come back in the spring. I think this is a reasonable request given that the job has not been completed.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 8:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mea5

Thank you for the quick response! The units are probably as old as the house 1999. We understood that there could be some risk, but it was a very bad placment for the units and the deck wa built around them. The builder wrote it into the contract that they would be back. I think they are connecting them now, but will come back in the spring to add freon if needed.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™