which AC unit for second floor of a bungalow?

oppsieDecember 7, 2012

Hi all,

Doing a gut reno of my second floor. The house is a bungalow so it gets nice and toasty up there in the summer. General footprint is roughly 60'x13' consisting of two bedrooms and two full baths. GC/HVAC determined that our current system isn't enough to support full-time, comfortable living up there -- at the moment we live strictly on the first floor, and as a 1946 house I don't think it was ever optimized for comfort upstairs. The HVAC guys have been here all week running all new ductwork and installing the furnace (Lennox SLP98). Also added R-21/R-13/R-38 wherever we could.

We need to choose an AC unit and I'm questioning what the HVAC guys have spec'd out. They're planning to install a Lennox 13ACX-024-230 and maintain that this is adequate for the space. While I believe that, we plan to be in this house for the next 20 years at least -- would it make more sense economically to move up to one of the following?

XC13-024-230 $350.00 additional
XC14-024-230 $625.00 additional (quietest according to HVAC guys)
XC16-024-230 $1,200.00 additional. 2-stage. Seems like overkill.

Utility rebates in my region are $150 for 15 SEER, 250 for 16 SEER.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

I would move up to the XC13 condenser model with best matching evap coil.

Just curious, what size is old condenser?

If second floor will be used sporadically, I see no reason to go higher than a 13 SEER. However, it is important that you are sized correctly. Has dealer/ GC performed a load calc and provided a copy in writing for your review? If not, insist on it.

What s your location and what size furnace is being istalled?

Post back.

IMO

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 7:23PM
DandiProm

Based on your bungalow location and building formation only its possible to say the correct location for AC unit.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 1:48AM
oppsie

@tigerdunes Checking what size the existing unit is (meaning, trying to find paperwork...can't quite get to the unit to look). Same for the new 2nd floor furnace.

The second floor will be where all three occupants of the house sleep at night, so cooling is important. I'm basically already decided on going with the XC13 (which should be eligible for the utility rebate as it's "up to 15.5 SEER"... right?) so thank you for confirming.

I don't think they've done a manual J yet. I assumed they couldn't since they were tearing out the existing ductwork and replacing, and there are no solid walls, only framing. I've asked my GC to provide one, though.

We're in Michigan.

BTW they're putting a manual bypass humidifier, Lennox Healthy Climate model HWCB3-12, on the furnace. Tstat will be iComfort.

This post was edited by oppsie on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 15:00

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:19AM
oppsie

...and DH checked the new furnace and says it says:

Slp98uh o70xv36b -04
Cx34-30b-6f-2

Existing furnace:

352MAV060120F

This post was edited by oppsie on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 15:12

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Advice on HVAC & Insulation issues
I have a few questions that I would love to have input...
cinamn808
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™