Happy summer Canada Day Fourth of July......

agmss15July 4, 2014

Happy summer all! It's hot and sticky here in Maine. Summer is here. First orange daylilies and black-eyed susans yesterday, picked first basil, last peonies have withered, squash tomatoes and cukes are suddenly growing fast.

Made pizza outside tonight with ciabbata dough that had been refrigerated for four days. Amazing.

Day 5 or 6 of a sourdough starter. Now a ball each of rye and rye/wheat that will go from seed mix to mother tomorrow am. Makes me feel like a mad scientist.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

Happy 4th of July!!!

Looking forward to seeing what is on everyone's menu today.

~Ann

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 9:06AM
jasdip

Happy Independence Day!!!
I can't wait to hear what's on your menus, and hopefully see some pics in the WFD thread.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 10:19AM
ruthanna_gw

Happy 4th of July to all who observe it.

Our neighbor will be hosting his annual fireworks get-together tonight. It's amazing what a beautiful show he puts on only using the legal varieties for our state while blaring out patriotic music. We'll be gathering there about 8 P.M. with everyone bringing some food or drink to share. He has a rule of no plates or utensils - true finger food only.

My contribution will be what our family calls Tropical Cupcakes - pineapple in the batter, Sailor Jerry spiced rum flavoring the frosting, and toasted coconuts and macadamia nuts on top. In our non air conditioned kitchen, summer baking is done first thing in the morning so they are already packed up and ready to go.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 10:59AM
mitchdesj

Happy 4th of July to our American friends !!!

July 1st was wonderful in Calgary ! we went to the Olympic parc then we tried to eat at the food trucks but the lineups were too long !

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 11:13AM
chase_gw

A happy and safe Fourth to all our friends south of the 49th.....post menus..you guys always do it up well!

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 12:12PM
johnliu_gw

Moments after this picture was taken, an awful tragedy befell my son's Fourth of July pancakes, that not even Captain America could prevent.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 2:02PM
johnliu_gw

Double double post post

This post was edited by johnliu on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 14:07

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 2:06PM
publickman

Did you grill your pizza on your BGE? I want more details!

Mitch, the first time I heard someone in Canada say "lineup", I thought it was of a police lineup of suspected criminals. I think in UK they call it a que. It's been a long time since I've been to Canada, and I miss it a lot. I would love to go to Calgary and Banff - Kevin has been and says he would like to go again.

We're grilling pizza again, and this time we are taking videos and photos. I want to show a friend how I stretch pizza dough onto a screen.

Lars

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 2:58PM
agmss15

Pizza was made in my woodfired oven. I started the fire about 2 hours earlier. These took about 3-4 minutes each because of the thicker wetter crust. Usually I make a very thin crust pizza and they take 60-90 seconds - very easy to go from kissed by fire to blackened. The four day old dough made a really bubbly yummy crust.

I do mean to make pizza on the egg when I am making a quick dinner for one. Have not tried it yet and have not gone back to the egg store for a stone. Expensive fascinating accessories.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 3:19PM
chase_gw

Oh John ...I can see the tragedy unfolding.....did he apply the 10 second rule...or in this case maybe the 20 second rule!!

Lars come on up you would love it here...especially Vancouver and Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City too... very cosmopolitan and vibrant

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 4:23PM
compumom

Happy Independence Day! Last year we spent Canada Day in Canada and this year we're back in the USA for fireworks and a picnic supper. I made a bow tie pasta pesto salad with chicken and sun dried tomatoes. It's my DGS#1's fave from the deli counter at Gelson's. So I decided to make it my interpretation, I hope it passes the test! I've cut up veggies, melon and made more chicken to toss for a mustardy chicken salad with avocado. I'm depending upon other friends to add their treats to the meal. Have a safe & sane 4th everyone!

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Need Recipe Help
Need Recipe Help Our church hosts a Lenten Luncheon...
blueheron
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™