Why does capacitor keeping breaking?

hard8hoppingDecember 13, 2013

My Day & Night furnace/blower has stopped working in the middle of the night twice now, each time requiring a replacement of a capacitor. The repair guy said the system is cycling too much because we leave the system on all day and night, set to a constant 72. This is in Los Angeles and we've been having a cold spell for the past week so the unit prob is on and off more than usual... BUT this hardly seems like abnormal usage. Is he right? Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

How do these kind of people stay in business? No,he is not right and I hope you didn't pay him more than $75 because that's $73 more than he's worth. Many people run thier blower 24/7 for reasons ranging from inhanced air filteration to offseting poor air distribution.
Based on his hare brained observation,I'm betting the first cap went bad as they do under normal conditions once in a blue moon. The secound time was likly because the knot head installed the wrong cap.
That's not to say caps can't go bad twice in a short time,but it's unusual,esp if everything is wired correct and there isn't a weird short circuit or such.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 8:12PM
jonnyp

I would be willing to bet the capacitors contained a sub standard electrolyte which caused premature failure. Had a tv fail 1 month after warranty ran out, 4 caps , all blown. This was a major problem several years ago especially for electronic manufacturers.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 6:27AM
mike_home

How long did the first capacitor last and were you charged for the second replacement?

The capacitor failure has nothing to do with setting your thermostat at 72.

I just checked the temperature in LA. It is 44 degrees. This is considered a warm winter day for many parts of the country. Your furnace has an easy life living in LA.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 11:57AM
fsq4cw

Was the replacement capacitor the exact same capacitance value and equal or higher voltage rating as compared to the original 'correct' capacitor?

SR

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 9:46AM
tigerdunes

I agree.

Either a bad bunch or wrong size/rating.

IMO

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
zver11
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™