Fisher & Paykel washer oil/grease stains

contrailhAugust 6, 2009

I have a Fisher & Paykel Intuitive Eco washer, about 4 years old, that is leaving a clear grease or oil stain on our clean clothes. I have air dried clothes and found it, so I know it is the washer and not the dryer. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what is causing it or how to fix it? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Do you typically wash in only cold water? Do you use liquid softener? What detergent(s)? The problem could be grunge/scrud build-up. Run the "Tub Clean" LifeCycle, with a couple cups of an *enzyme-based* (check the package label) POWDER dishwasher detergent. In an extreme case the inner basket may need to be pulled for access to clean the exterior of it, and the interior of the outer tub.

F&P washers don't have a transmission, so there's no oil or grease from such to leak out. There is some grease on the drive shaft bearings. It wouldn't normally get into the clothes, but I suppose that could happen.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 7:07PM
sasalino68_hotmail_com

this happens to me too and it is driving me crazy. Seems to happen most often with sheets.

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 6:14PM
ewilson61

We have a Fisher Paykel Eco smart GWL11 washer. Its about 5 or 6 years old. For the last 1-2 years we continually get clear oily / greasy spots on our clothes. They appear on front,back, randomoly. I have seen posts on forums with others having the same problem, but have not seen a posted resolution. We have tried, hot, cold, warm, different detergents, changed the hoses, take out the tube and cleaned all inside parts completely with no luck. Could the bearing in the bottom be leaking during spin cycles? If so, how much and how do I relace it.
Thanks
Eric Wilson
Rowlett, Texas, USA

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 11:59PM
dadoes

If grease is escaping from the main bearing, you'd likely have seen evidence of it inside the tub when the machine was disassembled for cleaning ... and beneath on the motor area. A bad bearing & seal would also typically evidence water leaking and excess/abnormal noise during spin.

Sounds like you're having scrud, which is accumulated residue from a combination of minerals in the water, detergent, and fabric softener. What exactly did you disassemble for cleaning? You said "tube" above, but I assume that should be "tub" ... meaning you removed the inner basket, cleaned it, the agitator, and the interior of the outer tub?

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 7:20AM
cloub

I have the exact same problem. It is so annoying!! I have had to stop using the sheet cycle after having several sets of sheets ruined. Now it's happening on other cycles as well, but usually when I'm washing sheets. Very strange and frustrating!

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 7:08PM
Connie K

This happened to me, and it drove me crazy. IT took me awhile to finally realize it was the washer and not the dryer. A poster above mentioned scrud. That's exactly what it is. Our repair guy told me that it is a buildup of detergent. He took out the tub and cleaned everything thoroughly. Then he advised me to use much less detergent. We haven't had a problem since.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 9:14PM
ChrisP55

I had the same problem and easily fixed it by unscrewing the cap at the top center of the agitator at the bottom of the washer barrel and cleaning out the crud that gets trapped there. It must come out onto the laundry from time to time particularly when sheets are being washed probably because they are less balanced and wobble the drum more than most loads.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
LG/Kenmore Elite 5.2 washer & 9.0 Dryer
Hey everyone! Happy New Year!! Does anyone have any...
larsi_gw
Fisher Paykel Washer/Dryer
Sears is now carrying Fisher Paykel washers and dryers....
phyllisb
New Tide Turbo Clean HE
Seeing coupons for this in my paper. Is it their response...
kclv
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
My LG FL is pilling my clothes
I have looked up every resource I know to help me with...
jessvb7
Sponsored Products
Bottega Side Chair
Design Within Reach
Elizabeth 3 Piece King Bedroom Set in Cappuccino
$762.00 | LexMod
Raine Leather Sectional - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Floral Garden Traditional Sage Green Area Rug (4'10 x 6'10)
Overstock.com
Couristan Everest Gridiron Crimson Area Rug Multicolor - 0871/4894-3.11X5.3
$159.00 | Hayneedle
Knoll | Saarinen 47-Inch Round Dining Table, Carrara Marble - Quick Ship
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™