emergency water shut-off for washer

drdannieAugust 2, 2011

I did a search of this forum but didn't come up with anything.� My Electrolux w/d are being delivered Friday and will go into a laundry area in my pantry that has a wood floor.� Someone told me of a safety valve or some type of emergency shut off system in case of a washer overflow. Doe anyone have such a device or heard of anything like this. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

They sell anti flood flexible supply lines at any box store. It's about $30 for the pair.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 2:12AM
drdannie

Thanks GreenDesigns. I appreciate the info.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 12:54PM
weedmeister

I think Watts makes a device that shuts off the flow at the wall if a detector located on the floor detects water. You can also install a dual valve that has a single cutoff handle to turn off the hot/cold when not in use.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 5:53PM
asolo

"You can also install a dual valve that has a single cutoff handle to turn off the hot/cold when not in use."

Given their reliability, ease of use, and low cost, I think these things should be written into the codes as a requirement. Consumer-grade hoses and "soft" connections in pressurized lines are never to be trusted.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 7:19PM
drdannie

Thanks weedmeister and asolo - I did a google search and found the Watts Intelliflow device which uses a detector on the floor and I like the idea of a single handle to turn off both the hot and cold water. Like most folks, I never turn the water off to the washer when I'm not using it, but given I now have a wood floor in that area, I wiill start doing this. Right under the washer and dryer, my GC used a rubber product used in shower pans that he painted on and then we tiled over that with a 2 inch lip all the way around to create actual pans that the machines will sit in. After all these precautions, hopefully there will be no floods. Thanks again.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™