Where to find a bottom-vent kit for Maytag dryer?

andaleeAugust 8, 2008

We just moved into a house with the dryer vent coming straight out of the floor. My Maytag dryer (a first-generation Neptune) can be vented out of the bottom, but I need an accessory exhaust kit that's mentioned by that name in the installation instructions, but I can't find anywhere. (Maytag no longer has it. Grrrrr. Yet another reason I will NEVER buy Maytag again!)

Does anyone know of a source for obsolete Maytag parts? Or does anyone have any idea of what I could do? There's just not room in the hallway/laundry area to have the dryer sticking out six (or even four) inches from the wall, so this is pretty important to me.

Thanks so much . . .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Depends on the Dryer Model number ...

Is this the part number you're looking for ?

12001453 Maytag Dryer Side/Base Vent Exhaust Kit

    Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 10:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't know if that's the part number. Maytag couldn't tell me a blessed thing, other than the parts for my dryer were obsolete. (Which is infuriating, considering that it was their top of the line dryer when we bought it.)

The dryer itself is a Neptune, MDE4000AYW. Partner to the infamous first generation Neptune front-loader.

The part number you cited is on the top of the instruction sheet for the kit linked below, so maybe that's the one. The guy on the phone told me it would work with my model number (called them after posting here), but the price is nearly $20 more than other places have them, so I'm not keen on purchasing from that site.

DH and I are going to take a look at the dryer innards tonight and see what we've got to work with. Hopefully we can pick up the parts at Home Depot tomorrow, instead of waiting (and having to pay for) for shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag vent kit.

    Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 12:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

All you need is a shorter exhaust flume inside the dryer, with a 90° elbow to turn it to the bottom. You can probably find material at Home Depot to make the modification yourself.

    Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 12:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I just purchsed the new Samsung VRT Steam washer & dryer.
We needed a side vent kit. We ordered it from Lowe's quick parts ( 1-800-476-8160 ). It is actually the same kit that regus_patoff mentioned above. They told me that Maytag makes part's for Samsung. You can find this kit much cheaper on line than I paid for it. You can find the individual parts cheaper at your local home improvement store

    Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 12:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks so much, puff, for confirming what I suspected. I've just printed off the photo from the kit linked above, and I'm off to Home Depot to (hopefully) find what I need. If they don't have it, there's always Lowe's. ;o)

I really appreciate everyone's help, and I'll be sure to post back when I've got it fixed. Have a great weekend!

    Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 1:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Puff, were the instructions you got with your kit Samsung-specific, or generic?

    Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 2:55PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
Laundry room
I have been digging through the forums but am still...
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™