Hello & Cast Iron Sinks - Not Farm/Apron

LauraedsJanuary 14, 2014

Hi all -

I've been lurking here for a few years, making notes, printing out photographs of all my favorite kitchens and features -- what a treasure trove of experiences and opinions.

We purchased a great 1930's Georgian style brick home last year, and after some smaller projects, we are ready to tackle the kitchen. It's going to be a massive project - combining an existing kitchen and existing garage into a new space.

I'm sure I'll have some significant questions and inquiries later, but for right now, I'm going to start off with an easy question:

Enameled cast iron sinks -- had one we loved in a previous renovation - a big (33") Kohler, single basin, deep and wide. It was great! I'm not personally a fan of the farm style/apron front sinks, and that seems to be the current trend.

Kohler has a few single basin undermounts that might work (Riverby and Indio), but I wondered if there are any other manufacturers I should be checking out. I've not had luck in my searches.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

American Standard has a few, but Kohler is the go to vendor for any type of cast iron. If you look at AS, be sure that you don't mistake "Americast" with cast iron. It's totally inferior. Also be aware that modern cast iron without the lead isn't as durable as the older models that you may have experienced in the past. That's a big reason for the popularity of fireclay, which is just a fancy term for "china" sink.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 5:11PM
Lauraeds

Thanks hollysprings. I just checked out AS, and it's not quite what I'm looking for.

My previous sink was Kohler, installed in 2003. While the same style isn't made anymore, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the durability will be the same ⦠I just loved it!!

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 6:25PM
1929Spanish

Check out Ceco sinks. We used theirs - I think it was the 754. We love it.

The finish is not as smooth as the Kohler and I liked the look. Plus the drain is toward the center back so it's easier to wash my dog. Yes, I said wash the dog!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceco Sinks

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 7:58PM
romy718

I love my Kohler 33" Iron Tones Smart Divide. The sink is 9" deep but the divider is only 4.5" high so you can have a single or double sink. It's about a 70/30. I can wash all my largest pans & cookie sheets but still have the option of a divided sink.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Custom Cupboards
Has anyone used Custom Cupboards kitchen cabinets?...
tgmoran
Under cabinet mixer shelf
Does anyone have a built-in under cabinet mixer shelf...
ryseryse_2004
Help, my new white lacquer cabinets are peeling!
Hello, We reno'd our kitchen 1.5 years ago and installed...
cece1213
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™