Any remedy for cold air from attic ducts

dwpcDecember 28, 2012

Our air ducting in the attic is insulated but when the heat turns on we get a blast of cold standing air out of the registers for several seconds until the warm air from the furnace finally makes it to the register. In the long duct runs, the air at the register barely gets warm before the 'stat shuts the fan off. Is there any cost-effective way to remedy this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greendesigns_gw

More insulation. Blow in some fiberglass or cellulose over the whole attic area, covering the ducts. You'll be more comfortable and your energy bills will go down.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 1:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david_cary

Green - of course in humid areas (or at least my area), you don't want to blow insulation over ducts because of the concern of condensation in the summer.

The insulation will help a little bit but won't fix the problem. A variable speed air handler will help some - it runs the fan very slowly for the first few minutes to flush that cold air out. Also, a staged furnace would lengthen the run time or a smaller (ie not oversized) furnace or both.

All of these things are something to consider when you get a new furnace/air handler. They are probably too expensive to do just for the problem you are having.

So blow some insulation as long as you don't a/c in a humid area....

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 5:49AM
More Discussions
New Furnace - Keep Previous Excellent Thermostat?
I am replacing a 20-year-old single-stage Carrier gas...
ak0402
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Replacing Carrier Infinity Zone Controller with ZoneFirst
I've got a Carrier Infinity Zone Controller with four...
Michael Brown
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™