will washer crack large tile

jaansuAugust 21, 2012

I'm about to start working on a mud/laundry room and would like to tile the whole thing in ceramic tile. How likely would it be that the washing machine, that every so often does the Watusi due to imbalance, will end up cracking the large tiles? Is it best to define a non-tiled ares for the washer and drier? I was thinking of incorporating the washer into a large tray maybe with a drain to the basement to avoid any bad leaks that might develop in a washer malfunction.

I posted this in the flooring forum as well but wondered if anyone had had similar experiences.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave1812

IF the tile was properly installed it shouldn't break, BUT if you are still concerned, install a layer of 1-1/8" Sturd-i-floor under the washer (and dryer, to match heights). You can secure it with brackets to studs in the wall behind the washer or simply use some adhesive in a few spots. Be sure to put the washer on it after applying adhesive so that it will squish down, to avoid air voids. For uneven tile you may need to install a THIN layer of something such as what is used under laminate floors, to prevent possible hum from vibrations in the sturdifloor (VERY UNLIKELY, as it is 1-1/6" thick). I'm giving you these instructions to be on the safe side to avoid complications--not saying that anything I mentioned is likely.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Electrolux new updated LOGO 2015
Electrolux is updating their LOGO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQYZ_oWCp0...
georgect
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
Do HE TL washer really Clean?
I have had a traditional Maytag TL washer for the last...
jungleexplorer
How to RePosition Side by Side Washer & Dryer to Stackable position?
Greetings! We are moving into a home where the only...
gem57
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™