GE Harmony washer HE only or regular soap?

vejoanAugust 10, 2011

While searching the Home Depot website for washers I posted a question about the detergent used in the GE Harmony top loader. The answer sent back is that regular detergent can be used in the Harmony although HE is recommended. Does any one have one? What kind of detergent do you use? If I can buy a new washer without the HE option I would rather do that. But finding a machine with features I like is a tiring project. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
livebetter

Why don't you list the features you like and maybe some on the forum with vast machine knowledge can help you narrow it down.

I will warn you that you will probably get a lot of different opinions and this process may help you or confuse you further. Good luck!

I follow the belief that you should only use HE detergent in your HE washer. HE washers use much less water and the HE detergents are designed to properly remove/suspend dirt and rinse it away in less water. To me it sounds logical that a detergent for use in a TL with way more water would work differently than one designed to work with very little water.

Others on this forum will tell you otherwise. You have to choose what you think is right.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 12:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kieffers_Guy

vejoan:

Great question. Personally, I'd stick to HE detergent in HE models, but you can use regular detergent. The trick with regular detergent is that you have to use MUCH less than you normally would. If you don't, you'll get some SERIOUS sudsing (is that even a word?) in washing machine.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer Smell
We have a two year old Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer...
joechsle
Tried vinegar method to stretch shrunk wool pants but failed
Two 100% sweaters and one pair of 65% wool with 35%...
jjjjade H
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™