Ann T's Stacked Enchiladas

annie1992June 11, 2014

So yummy, I just love them. In fact, I began growing tomatillos just so I could make the green sauce, tomatillos are not readily available in my small market. I often make them without meat, just using the cheese, sauce and tortillas, but I had some chicken left over that Elery had grilled.

I made some rice and beans for the side, and was happy...

Thanks for a great recipe, Ann!

Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mustangs81

One of my favorites! Looks yummmmy.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 10:47AM
annie1992

You know, Cathy, those go together so quickly, I don't know why I don't make them more often.

I make a big batch of the sauce and portion it out in individual containers and put it in the freezer, so when I make them, I just haul out a frozen jar of sauce, thaw it, assemble and bake just long enough to heat everything and melt the cheese. I can have dinner on the table in about 15 minutes that way.

Annie

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 8:45PM
KatieC

It's a favorite at our house, too. DH put up our extra hoop house just for tomatillos (and I'm trying a couple of ground cherries). Last year they took over more than their share of my pepper greenhouse.

I froze Ann_T's sauce, and tried a can-able roasted salsa verde that had a lot of lime, but mellowed out nicely with lots of cheese. Both were really good...this year I think I will roast the tomatillos, onion and garlic for Ann's recipe, Yum.

Going to try dehydrating some tomatillos this year.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:06PM
ann_t

Annie, thanks for the reminder. Been a while since we had them. I think Matt is coming up next week so maybe I'll make them for him.

~Ann

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 12:29AM
mustangs81

Thanks Annie and AnnT. We are on the road this weekend staying in Extended Stay w/kitchenette so I am bring what I need to make these.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 11:11AM
publickman

Here's a link to the recipe. I make enchiladas several times a month, and I tend to keep my bean dip on hand for a variety of recipes. We ate the last of the last batch of enchiladas yesterday. I serve the bean dip on the side with Spanish rice.

Tomatillos are readily available here all year, and I also always have chilies in my yard, although I harvested most of the pequin chilies this week. I need to make a new batch of habanero sauce, as I have a lot of habaneros that need to be harvested. I like to alternate between green chili and red chili when making enchiladas.

I prefer tamales to enchiladas, but they are a lot more work.

Lars

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 2:38PM
petra_gw

Ann_T, thanks for the recipe and Annie, thank you for posting it, I needed some inspiration for weekend meals. And thank you for the link, Lars. I bought all the ingredients today, except had to substitute poblanos for the anaheim peppers cause the only other choice was jalapenos or habaneros. Since hubby and I are hot pepper wimps, those are best avoided. :o)

This post was edited by petra on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 19:39

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:00PM
annie1992

petra, I'm a hot pepper wuss myself, although Elery loves them.

This green sauce is more lime and tomatillo than hot pepper and the cheese moderates the heat nicely too.

Lars, I like to keep bean dip on hand too, but Elery finds that it makes a good snack in the evening, so before I know it, it's gone!

My habanero plants are doing well, but it's very nearly a miracle if any of them ripen before frost here.

KatieC, I'd get twice as many tomatillos if I'd actually cover them or put them in a hoop house, my season is just barely long enough for the husks to fill.....

Cathy, I always cooked when I travelled, although I don't travel nearly as much as you do. I can only eat out just so much, then I need to cook something, even if it's just eggs.

Annie

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:38PM
petra_gw

Oh my goodness, what a sauce!! Absolutely delicious, and not hot in the least. I roasted everything before I noticed it doesn't have to be, but it still turned out wonderful. Hubby loves cilantro and he is particularly happy that the sauce contains quite a bit. I doubled the recipe since several people wrote they freeze it. With the way this tastes, I should have quadrupled it. :o)

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:22PM
annie1992

petra, I'm happy you liked it, another thanks to Ann T for a great recipe.

Now you see why I freeze the stuff, for times when I just can't my hands on tomatillos...

Annie

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 12:18AM
petra_gw

Yes, thanks again to Ann T, and to you for posting about the recipe. :o) I decided to make the recipe into sort of an enchilada casserole last night, used a 9 x 13 dish and just layered everything as described in the recipe. We each ate a slice before I stuck it in the fridge, oh so good! When we get back tonight, we'll have more of it plus beans and rice, am looking forward to it already. :o)

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 10:34AM
momj47

Just made these tonight. It was a hit.

The sauce is amazing - I'm not sure what I was expecting, but we all really, really liked the sauce.

My SIL and the grandkids thought there were too many onions - so next time I'll make a pico de gallo and use that in place of the onions between the tortillas.

No cilantro, though - we have the "soap" gene.

Thanks, Ann.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 6:41PM
dcarch7

I don't make Enchiladas often. There are a few Spanish restaurants not far from me.

Yours look delicioso, great pictures too.

dcarch

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 7:12AM
More Discussions
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Waterlogue app
Photo of vegetables for tonight's dinner run through...
bbstx
What happened? Scientifically speaking...
Well, I'm hoping there may be someone here to give...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™