FYI - used yellow squash in jap chae...

AdnamaJune 11, 2014

...and it worked really well!

It's that time of year when there are squash and zucchini everywhere. Thought y'all would appreciate another recipe to use it up. I julienned my squash and prepared them the same way the carrots are prepared in the recipe. I think almost any vegetable would go into this dish well.

Jap Chae is a yummy, filling Korean stir-fried noodle dish, flavored basically with just onion, soy sauce and sugar.

The sweet potato starch noodles, aka glass noodles, can sometimes be found on the "Asian/International Aisle" of chain grocery stores, if you don't have a market that specializes nearby. Everything else is readily available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jap Chae Recipe and Video

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51

Good thought!

You might also want to try pickling them lightly with some rice vinegar. One of our fav Korean fusion restaurants puts pickled young ginger or pickled radishes (depending on the season) into the bebimbop (rice bowls) but it would work for Jap Chae as well.

Don't let the squash sit in the rice vinegar; just a quick dip for a minute or two, and out again.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Thanks, Amanda, I've kept that link. I'm always looking for something quick that uses lots of vegetables. No getting sweet potato noodles anywhere within 50 miles of here, of course, but it's on my list for the next trip to the Asian market!

Annie

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
It just dawned on me.....
that there's no Recipe Exchange forum anymore under...
Jasdip
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Shredding cheese
Just watching an episode of Cooks country where they...
debrak_2008
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Happy Birthday Lars!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LARS! Wishing you a joyous year filled...
compumom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™