Bosch Nexxt not spinning

aliceinwonderland_idAugust 24, 2011

My four-year-old Bosch Nexxt 500 dumped water all over the floor this weekend and now won't spin. When I removed the back cover, it was immediately obvious why this happened.

The drain hose comes up from the pump and pushes into a fitting - friction is the ONLY thing holding the hose in place. Over the course of four years, it vibrated itself loose and water hit the floor. This should have been a very minor, easy fix - just shove the hose back where it belongs. However, the geniuses who designed this machine (and I absolutely love the way it performs and have been extremely pleased up to this point), placed the spin motor control board right under the drain hose connection where it is guaranteed to get wet when the drain hose falls out. There is plenty of room to place this control board on the other side of the machine, out of harm's way. It does have a small, sloped plastic guard over it, but this is inadequate.

So, now I get to replace the motor control board, a $315 part that is becoming difficult to find since Bosch no longer makes this machine.

For those of you who have this machine, I suggest checking your drain hose to ensure it is fully seated, as well as devising a harness to keep it in place. Once you remove the back cover of the machine, you will see the hose on the left side. It should be seated in a plastic fitting such that all you see is the cone portion - if you see the larger, straight portion, push it in further. I will take some pics if anyone requests them. I wish someone had told me about this earlier. I would also like a few choice words with the braintrust who decided it was a good idea to place electronics in the only location guaranteed to get them covered with water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mysteryclock

I would love to see some pictures of the disassembly and location in question please!!

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 11:00PM
aliceinwonderland_id

Here is a view from the back of the machine, back cover removed. On the left you can see the white drain hose. Directly below it, lower left, you can see the motor controls board. Notice the large empty spot on the lower right where the control board could have been placed.

Here is the culprit. Where I am pointing with the screw driver is where the drain hose is pushed into the plastic piece. It should look like it does in this picture, with only the cone part of the drain hose showing:

In this picture, I am pointing to the very thin o-ring on the top of the drain hose so you can see how far the hose has to be pushed into the fitting.

Here is a closeup of the spin motor control board and wiring. Once the drain hose let go, there was no way this could be safe from water.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 12:56PM
mysteryclock

Thanks so much - it is very odd that they'd put it right beneath that. Seems like a "design by committee" decision. Was it tough to get the back off or just a zillion screws?

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 2:31PM
aliceinwonderland_id

The back was easy to remove - about 20 Torx screws and it lifted right off. It looks to me like it was designed to fail, which makes me grumpy. I will be placing a sling on the drain hose to prevent recurrence. The rest of the internals of the machine appear pristine after four years of heavy use.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 2:37PM
aliceinwonderland_id

And we have liftoff! I managed to locate a new board on eBay for $80, installed it today and all is well. Although, I must say, after decades of DIY repairs, this may be the first time I have finished without an extra screw or two still in my hand, wondering where they were supposed to go - feels a bit wrong.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 3:38PM
weedmeister

I'm surprised there is no type of clamp on that drain fitting.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Need help! Research New Washer, Bravos is totally trashed.
So confused, so many conflicting opinions. It truly...
thepond
Blinded by the technology and shiny bits
A couple of weeks ago my 20 yr old 22lb Admiral dryer...
mmmm12
Getting ready to buy Speed Queens
Actually did purchase a pair of Speed Queens for home...
socks
Fisher Paykel Washer/Dryer
Sears is now carrying Fisher Paykel washers and dryers....
phyllisb
Sponsored Products
Bosch MUM4405UC Compact Mixer - White - MUM4405UC
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Bosch MUZ6FS4 Universal Plus Flour Sifter - White - MUZ6FS4
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Bosch MUZ6FS3 Universal Plus Flour Sifter - White - MUZ6FS3
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Bosch MUM6N10UC Universal Plus Mixer - White - MUM6N10UC
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Bosch MUZ4MX2 Blender Complete - MUZ4MX2
$49.99 | Hayneedle