Washer and dryer for second home?

njannrosenAugust 1, 2014

We are buying a second home which needs a washer and dryer. I will only be there during the winter and there's only two of us so I don't need anything elaborate or super large. I would like something reliable and reasonably priced. We spent a lot on the ones we have now and find I don't use 90% of the features. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hvtech42

Do you want high efficiency? If so I would go with a front loader. I would stay away from the high efficiency top loaders. Speed Queen is the best, and the most expensive. I would get Whirlpool/Maytag, the new US made GE, or Frigidaire/Electrolux. If you get a front loader besides Speed Queen, be sure to get one with an internal heater because all the brands besides Speed Queen have a dumbed down "hot" temperature.

If you want a traditional non HE top loader, Speed Queen is again the best, and the most expensive. If you want cheaper, the Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana/Kenmore/Roper/Estate/Admiral new agitator design is the only one I would consider. That is what I have been putting in my rental properties as it is very affordable. Unfortunately the lid does lock, although unlike many it won't lock until after the fill so you can load and add detergent while it is filling. It does use electronic controls, unlike Speed Queen. And it does have a dumbed down "hot" temperature setting, but that is par for the course nowadays and Speed Queen is the only one to my knowledge that doesn't. But on the plus side, unlike many washers nowadays you have full manual control over the water level. The wash performance is excellent. This is a brand new design so I can't speak to reliability.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Do HE TL washer really Clean?
I have had a traditional Maytag TL washer for the last...
jungleexplorer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™