Can this iron be saved?

stbonnerAugust 7, 2010

I have, in the past, been really bad about storing my iron without emptying the water out of it. I know this is a bad practice, and my troubles now are nobody's fault but my own. I solemnly swear to do better from this day forward ... but, my current iron is spitting rusty water and I'm trying to figure out if it can be rehabbed or if I'm wasting my time.

I have run a vinegar and water mixture through it multiple times and let it steam through, alternately letting it just steam on its own and using the steam blast feature. I've gotten tons of junk out of the iron - rusty water, bits of rusty looking stuff, etc., but I can't seem to get to the end of it. Is there an end, or is it possible that my iron is just too far gone? Really, I'm about to pickle myself from standing over the sink with my vinegar-y iron and at this point I'm wondering if I should just call it a day and get a new one. The iron is a Rowenta, and it wasn't cheap, so I'd like to save it if it is possible. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housefairy

Can you e-mail Rowenta's customer service and see if they have a fix for your problem? I agree it would be a shame to junk the iron.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 10:43AM
westvillager

It almost sounds like maybe there are rusted or otherwise damaged parts inside. My fear would be it runs clean, then you iron a white dress shirt and it's a catastrophe.

I agree about calling Rowenta in case they have a suggestion like leave it in the sun for 5 hours or something. Lol.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 11:44AM
stbonner

Well, I never thought about calling Rowenta. Good idea. I'll do that Monday. Thanks, y'all.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
Sad FS discovery
I've never been one to over think the use of FS. I...
andi2928
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™