Using Diesel Fuel in Oil Furnace

chas036December 8, 2008

The price of diesel fuel in my area is $2.50 per gal where as #2 fuel oil is $3.39 Can I burn diesel fuel in my furnace without any problems since it is considered #2 fuel oil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zl700

It is the same, in fact perhaps better as it is controlled (octane, or in this case cetane #) and filtered better.
However, you will be hard-pressed to get a delivery to a home heating tank.

If youÂre thinking of carting home 5 gallons every night, factor in the inconvenience and smell involved to this task.

Diesel fuel has fallen as has petrol, and fuel oil hasn't caught up do to reserves and inventory. My advice is to keep shopping the fuel oil delivery price in your area.

Bookmark   December 8, 2008 at 11:21AM
kalining

Your probably burning diesle anyway. #1 fuel oil is used up in Canada. It is different up here. We can use purple
winter diesle. It is purple to designate no road tax. #2 doesn't want to burn very well at 40 below but will burn eventually when it warms up. Not as much heat. Most of our
oil tanks are outside. Put #2 oil in the tank and your furnace will not start. You also need a one inch supply line from the tank to the inside filter. I had to put winter diesle in my garage furnace last month. The furnace
will not start without delayed ignition. Once the oil warms up everything is fine. There is a big difference in
#1 and #2 oil up here. Actually we can't get #2 oil.

Bookmark   December 8, 2008 at 12:42PM
baymee

Where is fuel oil still so expensive? Today in eastern PA the price is about $1.80+ a gallon for a tank full.

Bookmark   December 8, 2008 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™