Great "gadget" buy, I think

annie1992June 23, 2013

Here we have a local "Thrifty Outlet", it's where all the unsold and outdated merchandise from the Meijer stores go as a last ditch effort to sell it.

Amanda went with me and she found two of these, one for her and one for her sister:

The Price?

Yup, $1.50. I don't need one, I prefer a knife, but both the girls were excited, and Makayla says she'll slice all the cucumbers we get from the garden this summer.

Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

You can't beat the price. Is it safe enough for Makayla to use?

~Ann

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:12PM
annie1992

Ann, I think it is. You put the vegetables in a tube, much like a food processor, but the thing works by pushing down the handle, kind of like a mechanized mandolin, as far as I can tell. Makayla will be 10 in November, and does some minor chopping and slicing, so I think she'll be fine. If I think she could cut herself, maybe I'll buy her one of those cutting gloves, which would significantly up the price of the slicer. (grin)

Does it work? I guess we'll see but I figure they can probably get $1.50 worth of slicing out of the things!

Annie

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:43PM
bcskye

Great find and a great offer from Makayla. Hope you're planning on doing up a lot of pickles so she'll have lots of slicing to do.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 9:02PM
ruthanna_gw

Good find, Annie. I foresee lots of sliced squash in your future too.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 10:17PM
dedtired

Heck, for $1.50, if Makayla gets an hour of entertainment, you came out ahead. Just keep it out of Bud's hands. I'm sure he would find all kinds of interesting things to slice up.

I love bargains. I went to our local cheap plant place and bought and couple of half dead leftovers for almost nothing. Once they got into some decent soil and were watered, they look great.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:42AM
arkansas_girl

Let us know how well the "sliceOmatic" works. I just found a brand new Feemster at the flea market for $2 and that thing wouldn't cut hot butter...UGH! But the adjustment platform cut my finger on a sharp edge though when I was changing it's height...GAH!

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 9:36AM
annie1992

Akgirl, I will do that. Makayla is watching for zucchini and cucumbers and I think next time we have a family picnic, maybe she can slice the onions.

Annie

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
I Thought about Grainlady and others today....
I made a loaf of bread and had all the ingredients...
carol_in_california
Need T&T recipe for Parmesan Broth
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Parmesan broth?...
bbstx
Photobucket Photos - Plllog - Annie
Hey there, I didn't forget to post PB photos for you....
solsthumper
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™