Thermostat recommendation

bus_driverDecember 4, 2012

A rental property has a heat pump with electric resistance auxiliary. When vacant, the heat needs to be sufficient only to prevent freezing. While the heat pump is only a couple of years old, the thermostat is a Janitrol with mercury switch that is at least 20 years old and has a minimum setting of 50 degrees.
Need your suggestions for a digital thermostat with 40 degrees minimum setting that is powered by the 24 volt control system (batteries not necessary), not-programmable, a clock function is not necessary. Preferably will light up the display when a button is pushed. Preferably would permit the user to select the differential at 1,2 or 3 degrees.
I do not know that controls the operation of the auxiliary.
If the thermostat is suddenly turned up 10 degrees, the auxiliary is actuated. I would like for that differential to be at least 2 degrees and adjustable to 3 degrees if possible.
One of the Gem Tech models has several of these features but not all of them.
Your suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

Honeywell offers a few non-programmable thermostats which are compatible with heat pump. They can be set as low as 40 degrees. I am not sure if you you select the auxiliary heat differential.

Below is the link the the Honeywell thermostats. If you find one that may work for you, then call the Honeywell customer service assistance number. The customer assistance is supposed to answer questions for DIY installations. They can provide details not included in the manual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell thermostats

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

I have a Honeywell programmable which I really like, but if I was buying one now, I'd go for one that can be monitored and adjusted remotely:

Here is a link that might be useful: IP Thermostats

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 1:50AM
More Discussions
advice about replacing furnace
I have a 1000 square foot rental house with a 40 year...
Ann Weaver
Tampa area, advice on AC replacement
Hello, bought a house with a 31 year old Trane Heat...
bitsie1
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
No Fully Trained Mini Split Installers
Reading threads about mini split heat pumps I got curious...
nerdyshopper
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
Sponsored Products
Century Gold 12-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 30W x 29.5H x 3
Bellacor
Xayabury Yellow 18 x 18 Zigzag Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Bartram Aqua Cocoa 18 x 18 Stripes Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Belenus Chrome Twenty-Eight Light 36-Inch Flush Mount with Royal Cut Clear Cryst
Bellacor
Arteriors Home - Jana Adjustable Table Lamp - 49930
Great Furniture Deal
Klus B5391 - ECO series Corner Mount Aluminum LED Profile Housing, TAN-C5
Super Bright LEDs
Brentwood Outdoor Wall Mount
$81.40 | Bellacor
DW 5050 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™