Conversion Scheduled, Snow coming

jpeanaDecember 31, 2013

Hi all, I have my oil to gas conversion scheduled for Thurs Jan 2 with snow predicted followed by a few frigid days. Any thoughts on whether to postpone for a few days and what precautions to take (electric heaters ready, etc)? The process dragged longer than expected. Thanks and Happy Holidays !!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

What does your installing dealer say about both weather issue and time to install? How many installers will dealer devote to your job?

IMO

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 7:28AM
jpeana

They say they will have the heat going the first day before leaving and that the weather will not be a hinerance. I dont know the number of installers devoted to install. Thanks for the response TD

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:39AM
tigerdunes

Obviously the worst that could happen is to lose the service of existing system for several days before new system can be installed. If you have confidence in the dealer, I would proceed.

Don't like the idea of multiple space heaters spread out in your home. Get home toasty before old system is disconnected. If you like use one electric heater in one room while new install is ongoing. Keep heater away from furniture and make certain it is not knocked over. Most new electric space heaters have multiple safety features. I just don't care for them.

Good Luck!
TD

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:47AM
jackfre

Well, the yes time to do this is spring/summer. Trust the dealer to get it done. They may had a long day, but they can't leave you without heat. You have a lot of heating season left. Enjoy the savings.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 10:59AM
jpeana

Thanks so much guys... nervous here in staten island ny w/ the weather. Ill let you know (next year :-) how it went. thanks, jp

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:18AM
tigerdunes

What system BTW are you having installed? Be specific.

TD

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 4:41PM
jpeana

Sorry for the delay.. the boiler is the Burnham pvg-5 (the brand w/ utility rebate) and the indirect water heater is by crown. They cant vent it right near the burner so they will try venting via pipe up to the chimney top. We posponed till next tuesday to let the storm blow by. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 7:28AM
jpeana

ps... on on 1/4 tank now.. any danger in adding 10 gal or so of diesel fuel to make sure I don't run out? Dealer min del = 50 gals (did that last week). thanks, jp

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 8:39AM
tigerdunes

How big is tank?

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
New Furnace - Keep Previous Excellent Thermostat?
I am replacing a 20-year-old single-stage Carrier gas...
ak0402
Replacing Carrier Infinity Zone Controller with ZoneFirst
I've got a Carrier Infinity Zone Controller with four...
Michael Brown
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™