What happens to a gas furnace during a power outage?

bark2December 2, 2012

Last winter we had a bad wind storm and it knocked out power to our area. It also knocked out our furnace and I could not get it restarted, so I had to call in a serviceman to do that. I am afraid that this will happen again.

My question is: What happens to a gas furnace during a power outage? Does it shut down automatically? I know that without electricity the blower and electric gas ignition will not function. I have a 12 year old Lennox furnace and it seems to be working properly except for this time when it seemed to shut down when the power went out, and I could not restart it. I followed all the steps on the panel instructions, so I am not sure why I could not get it going. Is there someting about a power outage during a strong wind storm which can affect these types of furnaces so that they are difficult to restart?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

If power is lost while the furnace is operating, the gas valve's safety feature will stop the gas flow. When the power returns the furnace should start up. It is possible the electronic control in the furnace may have to be reset. You may have to "reboot" your furnace.

Does the thermostat have a back up battery? If not, then the thermostat could be causing the problem if it has come up in a weird state.

Did the service tech explain to you what he had to do to restart the furnace?

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™