Need help on choosing the washer and dryer

stoleAugust 29, 2010

Hi, everyone,

I will soon be a first time home-owner (excited!), and I am so glad to be able to find such a great forum before I make the decision on the following choices. Any comments, especially on the resale value, will be greatly appreciated.

(1) Bosch version 800 washer and dryer. Pure white. Total for $1150.

(2) A whirlpool top-load washer and a samsung dryer (sorry I can remember the versions)£¬but with different colors. The washer is sea blue and the dryer is pure white. Total for $740.

All these are the old models (2009?) on sale.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigdoglover

Congratulations on your new home!!!

I am not a fan of front loaders. So when I got new W&D three years ago I got top loading but the "newer" kind, that, ahem, saves water. Right. They work fine enough, no complaints really, but we rented a cottage this summer and they had the good old fashioned top loader that dumps a whole bunch of water in, and boy was that ever nice. If I had it to do over again, I would skip all the fancy stuff, save the money, and just get the simple square old top loading washer that simply washes the clothes in a tub of water, instead of what I have which sort of shoots water in periodically.

If your W&D are in an area that you will pass through frequently I recommend getting matching. Because of switching from electric to gas when we moved into our last house, I had mismatched ones in my pass-through laundry room for some time, and it bugged me.

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 4:57PM
steveomc

I would choose a top loading machine. I think your choices are fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: What Kind of Washing Machine Should I Buy

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 5:29PM
totsuka

I love buying appliances. It's so much fun researching the, prices , options etc...my wife does not like it like I do. I wish our fridge would break and I would be down at Lowes tonight!.
We have the Whirlpool Duet, front loaders, came with house from previous owner. I would guess 4 years old. It uses less water, but I liked our old Whirlpool top loader at our previous home. We bought the mid price model, about 450 or so for washer and 400 for dryer. I think with appliances, less electronics is better.
The Duet dryer seems to keep lent more than our previous Whirlpool dryer. I clean it once a month. Just kill the power, take off the link holder, vacuum out.
Duet washer spins like a mad man on high speed.
Both are not under warranty so if they break it might be back to Lowes for me. Appliance parts are not cheap.
I always buy at Lowes. I think you get the best warranty. 1 year with the machine plus 4 years on the extended warranty which is usually around 80 bucks. GE does the service. I have really made out with the extended warranty on the KitchenAid dish washer. I had it covered for 6 years and towards the end had 800 dollars in repairs. No cost to me!.
I think in the old days Kitchenaid dishwashers were the best. But now Whirlpool owns them so those days are long gone. GE - No thanks for anything they make. We have GE stove, dishwasher, m/w. They have a very bad reputation for quality and I can't wait to replace them. I don't care for the German brands. They are just too expensive and very expensive for parts.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Sad FS discovery
I've never been one to over think the use of FS. I...
andi2928
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
Laundry room
I have been digging through the forums but am still...
mwinfield
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™