Lodge or Tramontina: best warranty?

tammyinwvJune 7, 2012

I read somewhere that Lodge paid for return shipping when using warranty, and that Tramontina didnt. But then this evening I read a post somewhere that the lady had to pay return shipping on Lodge. Does anyone have any experience with the warranties? i am getting ready to order but wasnt sure between the two. I am wanting the enameled cast iron 6 qt dutch oven.

tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Tramonta is a Walmart brand.....what more can I say?....Not the best for quality, but they take returns, no questions asked.
But I can't think why you might need to worry about a warranty.....that stuff is pretty rock solid.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 8:53PM
tammyinwv

From what I have read tramontina has received very high reviews. I was just planning for the "just in case" thing. If one had problems with the enamel, I didnt want to have to pay return shipping to get replaced, if the other one would have provided free shipping label. But I do understand all too well what you mean about walmart brands.
Tammy

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 9:14PM
donna_loomis

Costco carries Tramontina. I don't think WalMart makes things for Costco.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 10:21PM
sushipup1

Tramonta is not Tramontina, I think. Are we talking about different things?

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 12:10AM
donna_loomis

There is no Tramonta cookware that I could find. I think that was just a typo.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 12:26AM
westsider40

No, Tramontina is NOt a Walmart brand, not at all. Walmart happens to sell a lot of Tramontina, but Tramontina is not a Walmart brand. Mainstays is a walmart brand, tramontina is also sold at Costco and zillions of other retailers.

If you have a choice of Tramontina or Lodge for cast iron, be advised that each is a product of independent manufacturers. Judge them on their merits, as in the qualities each possess.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 12:28AM
tammyinwv

I have read a lot of high marks for both products. The only thing I have heard was different was the raw edges on the Tramontina. Thats why I was wondering about warranty. Lodge is a different time zone for me. They dont open this morn till 7:30 CT, and I am Eastern, so I need to wait another hour before I can contact them about it.
Tammy

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 7:30AM
tammyinwv

Ok, finally got my answers from the companies involved. Tramontina stated if something occured within a few months of purchase they would pay return shipping, but later on the customer pays. Lodge just told me if there was a problem and the item needed to be returned, they pay for return shipping. Since I have read both are comparable brands other than the raw edges on Tramontina, then my deciding factor came down to best warranty.With shipping possibly being around $20, Lodge seems the best way to go.
Tammy

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:10AM
lindac

But.....Walmart has the Tramontina (scuse the previous typo!) on special just now.....and WalMart is so very good about returns.
However I think that Lodge is a higher quality product.
My Le Cruset Dutch ovens have raw un glazed edges.....provides a tighter steam proof seal. I have never had a problem.....and 2 of the ovens are more than 25 years old......and one is used very often!!
Linda C

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:29AM
bbstx

I'm pretty sure my Lodge edge is also raw.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 10:55AM
tammyinwv

Yes walmart is good about returns, but what about 2 yrs from now? I was worried if I had to return a product under warranty for some kind of developing defect. Tramontina is on special at Walmart, and their online. Online so is their Lodge. I got the 6 qt Lodge online for $49.99 before tax, and free shipping. It was only about $10 higher than the other one. Thats why the warranty was my deciding point. I understand both Tramontina and Lodge have great warranties and great customer service, and ratings. But with tramontina if something doesnt show up right away, then you pay to return.
Tammy

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 12:00PM
sushipup1

I think you're over-thinking this. Instead, ask how many people have ever had to return a similar piece, and ask what was wrong with it. Chances are, you're beating yourself up over a very unlikely occurrence.

Sorta like the ads that are now running for a car company. The competitor's car has an extra long warranty, but the car advertised doesn't even need it. (And from my personal experience with several of those cars, that's true.... only normal wear-and-tear.)

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 12:19PM
tammyinwv

I understand what your saying. Like buying an extended warranty on a well made product and never needing it. So i think your saying its unlikely that one would ever have to return either brand to worry about the warranty? I have been reading reviews on both products for a few days now. There are good and bad, but a very high percentage are very good. There is always a chance tho of getting a lemon, that wont show its face quickly. Not that either brand doesnt have excellent quality, but things can happen.
Tammy

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
johnliu_gw
OT - spoon basket
So I am having some work done on my 'kitchen'. The...
agmss15
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
laceyvail
To Fava or not to Fava?
For my cooking/recipe club, I'm preparing Braised Lamb...
bbstx
Sponsored Products
Traditional Concealed 2 Outlet & Diverter Thermostatic Shower Valve
Hudson Reed
Home Theater Flat TV System 59
Italy Design
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LV07VRD Landscape Lighting Spot
$62.80 | Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Brown 6 ft. Round
Home Depot
Wusthof Gourmet 4-pc. Wine and Cheese Set
$79.95 | FRONTGATE