Laundry Closet Ideas

barbcollinsJuly 24, 2011

We are renovating a 100 years old house, and in the middle of the kitchen right now.

Next will be the laundry closet off the kitchen. It will be 5' wide a little over 3' deep. The ceiling will only be about 7' high since we ran some plumbing and heating to the floor above there. There will be bi-fold doors.

I plan on some shelves above the washer/dryer, and am trying to think up some other storage ideas.

1. Would you center the washer and dryer, or put them to the side to have some space for brooms/mops.

2. I like to hang my clothes as I take them out of the dryer. Where would be good place to put a pole? Across the opening (but behind the doors). Is there such a thing as a long hook that could be folded back?

Anybody have any tips? Would love to see some pictures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellaf

I'm dreaming of this clothes hanging thing for my laundry room.

Here is a link that might be useful: laundry lift

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 9:44AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

Do you have the washer and dryer side by side, or is it a stacked set or all one unit?

Do you know how much room you will have to play with?

With my washer and dryer side by side, and the niche just 62", there isn't much room left over. I don't have them centered and have room to put a folded step stool on one side.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 2:14PM
kelpmermaid

Our washer & dryer share a "closet" about 8'+ wide inside with the hot water heater; it has bifold louvred doors. We were thinking about a closet pole, but the space was too wide. We ended up with a truly cheap alternative from a marine hardware store: two four inch cleats screwed into the wall at the studs with a line between them. We secured the line as one would tie up a boat. If the line stretches, we can adjust it. The total cost was a whopping $5. Woo hoo!

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 11:11PM
njannrosen

We converted a closet into a second floor laundry area. We put the w/d to one side, stacked, and have a shelf above and cubbies along the side.
The smaller shelves aren't as deep as the w/d. On the wall in front of the shelves they put in a stainless arm that swivels up and locks. It has slots for hangers. When you don't need it it folds down. We had the closet done by a professional closet designer since we were doing a whole master bathroom/closet/laundry project, but the concept is simple enough to do yourself. Leave some space for laundry baskets too.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
NEW Whirlpool Duet laundry team
Hi Guys, I'm a new blog writer and i review items....
Appliancetoday
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™