Skirt BAD color bleed

kataiJuly 12, 2010

I'm so SO glad I didn't wash this with the other laundry!! I went to wash a skirt, by hand, did my thing, laid it on a towel. Well it DYED the towel blue. So I washed it again in a bucket with Tide and it turned the water dark blue, over and over again rinse after rinse. its drying now, I let it sit with tide and cold water. Is this eventually going to stop? The bleed that is...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jetcity

You need to add 1/2 cup of vinegar to the bucket of water and soak it. I do this with my jeans before the first wash so they stay dark.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 8:32PM
dualref

Actually you can stabilize the color. If a dye runs, soak the garment for an hour in 1/2 gallon of water to which you've added 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup salt. If rinse water shows color, repeat. This is good for a single-colored fabric or madras. If the item is multicolored, dry-clean it. (American-made fabrics are unlikely to run, but fabrics from abroad are sometimes risky.)

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 11:00PM
vintage36

"Actually you can stabilize the color. If a dye runs, soak the garment for an hour in 1/2 gallon of water to which you've added 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup salt. If rinse water shows color, repeat."

Does this also apply to items that explicitly state that the dye is "designed" to fade/bleed? It seems that some casual shirts of mine had that tag.

Yet here I read fading isn't desirable while faded shirts & pants are desirable & fashionable?!

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
Electrolux 60 Series #3
Well let this be a fyi. People do not ever purchase...
Mark
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™