Laundry center: Can hookups be alongside, not behind?

Mag_BenJuly 4, 2013

I just rented a floor of an old house where the previous tenants supposedly were using a laundry center (washer/dryer tower or stack) in a tiny room that was originally a half bath.

Picture shows what the hookups look like. The distance to the opposite wall is only 43". The smallest laundry center I've seen so far is 24" deep with the doors closed. The 24" GE I'm looking at right now is 43" deep with the top door open.

That seems pretty clearly unworkable. So I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether the laundry center could be positioned with its back to the adjoining wall instead of the hookup wall (meaning the various connections would be exposed, not that I care as long as there's no safety issue with the exposure).

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Surely that's not a problem. It'd be somewhat an advantage for ease of access to the supply faucets for quick shut-off in case of a machine malfunction / flood.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mag_Ben

Thanks dadoes. Never done this before (I've lived with basement laundry rooms in apartment buildings for 39 years!!!) so I was shaky about it. :) Indeed, based on information subsequently gathered, it does seem that it will work fine. Will find out tomorrow when the appliances are delivered!

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Magtag TL leaving white film on clothes
My Maytag has a selfcleaning filter, and I've had it...
sweeterthanhoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™