Choosing the right front load washer

greymcrackerJuly 16, 2011

I have finally decided to purchase a front load washer. I am especially interested in a Whirlpool Duet or LG. I need some feedback on pros and cons of both of these brands. This is new to me because I currently have a top load washer now with an agitator. I have researched Consumer Reports and find the search very confusing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
itguy08

Well, I can speak on LG....

We got a LG 2077 washer and matching dryer at the end of 2004 and it lasted until this April when a flood in our basement took the dryer out. Since it was city sewer water that flooded our basement with 3.5 ft of water, we replaced them both since neither my wife or I would think our clothes would have gotten "clean" again. In those 6 years the machines worked great and probably would work today if it were not for the flood.

Cleaning performance was great and we really liked the machines. We replaced them with a matching Kenmore set which is made by LG. We got the 4044 washer with steam and the matching gas dryer. They also work well.

I think the most important thing is to get a machine with a heater. If it has a Sanitary cycle it has a heater.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 9:47PM
happymomof2kids

Before I got my Frigidaire FL, I did some research. The LG's got much better reviews than the Whirlpools. I would have gone LG but they were out of my price range at them time so I got the Frigidaire. Next one I get will be an LG. I just haven't decided if I want the HE top loader or the FL.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 10:44PM
izeve

We upgraded from Whirlpool Duet Sport to LG WM2301 last year and I couldn't be happier. Mind you, the Duets we had were the smaller, simpler version of Duets, so I'm not sure how they would compare to the full size set with all the features. But my new LG washes a lot better, does not vibrate as much and, most importantly, has a heater that heats up the wash water in Hot and Extra Hot cycles. Whatever you decide, do what itguy08 says: get a washer with a heater.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Electrolux new updated LOGO 2015
Electrolux is updating their LOGO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQYZ_oWCp0...
georgect
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™