Repair or replace: Maytag A712 timer?

cloudy_christineJuly 4, 2010

Hello. I've been reading here because I planned to buy a new washer to replace the currently dead Maytag A712, but now am having second thoughts. I do not love the Maytag at all; it's been shredding things with the slit-fin agitator since I bought it, I think 10 or 12 years ago. The problem: the tub filled, and apparently the cycle advanced, since it the pointer ended up at the end of the cycle after the one I set it to, but nothing happened -- no agitation and no draining. It was ticking but doing nothing. My husband somehow got it to drain (I couldn't).

Is the problem likely with the timer only, or the timer motor too? With labor costs, does it make sense to fix it?

The reasons we may want to: we'd have to move a lot of stuff in the cellar to get a new one delivered, and, not having lovely expensive new things may be a good idea since we have some plans to fix up the cellar. The thought of moving the fancy front-loader we would get is kind of daunting. Seemed clear that we shouldn't put money into the old machine, but maybe....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cloudy_christine

We did call a repairman, and there's nothing wrong with the timer. Two of the buttons were slightly depressed, and it stopped the thing from working. Dumb! He's changing the belts while he's here, and we'll be good to go.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 11:04AM
mysteryclock

Built to last! Great to hear that's all it was.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 6:33PM
jessyf

Yeah! Happy ending! Now we just have to figure out the shredding.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Fisher+Paykel Eco Intuitive not working properly
Hello, I hope someone out there can help me! I have...
varietypack
Combo washer-dryer in USA?
Do they allow to purchase and use an all-in-on e washer+dryer...
neonrider
which compact washer/dryer?
I really wanted the Miele touchtronic washer/dryer...
achase1961
New Front Load Speed Queens
Hi everyone, we are replacing our old GE's- adding...
remodnana
Official Cheer HE Powder...Finally
I was so happy to find that P&G now offers Cheer...
kgdallas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™