Open Jar of Spaghetti Sauce - How Long in Refrigerator?

suziequeJanuary 19, 2009

Once I open and use part of a jar of spaghetti sauce, how long can I keep that jar in the refrigerator before it's no longer safe to use? One time I found a long-forgotten jar way in the back and it had grown some dreadded "fuzzies" - yuck! Of course I pitched that right away. But that was a very old jar.

What about a new, partially used jar?

Suzieque

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzieque

Oh - by the way, of course I mean with the cover on tight.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:01PM
minnie_tx

I used to make ziplock packs of sauce and packs of equal sized cooked spaghetti then I could mix the two together for a quick supper (forgot I used to freeze them)
I wouldn't use that refrig jar after the next day

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:34PM
susanjf_gw

no more than 2 weeks from what i've read...as one person suggested, you could also freeze it...

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:36PM
RuthieG__TX

I have found the fuzzy ones too but truthfully it should last a pretty good number of days...even 4 or 5 fays shouldn't be an issue....

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:38PM
ritamay91710

I think it grows the "fuzzies" pretty quickly.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:38PM
tami_ohio

I've used mine after a week with no problems.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:43PM
joyfulguy

Gets even more crucial when one lives alone.

Something tells me that several local singles should get together for a pot-luck dinner, at least once a week!

I figure it should be good for at least a week.

(I get the feeling that I'm repeating myself).

ole joyful

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:49PM
hayjud_mn

Tomato things, because of the acid, can keep longer than some other things. It can be kept for at least a week. After that I would give it the smell test -- does it still smell the same? After that, heat it, and if it still smells good, use it.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:51PM
suzieque

Ok, I guess I've played with fire on a couple of occasions, then. The last time I opened a jar I did freeze portion sizes (and Yes, I live alone) so that I can take them out when needed and not leave a jar to die in the frige. But there have been times when I've heated some up that's been there .... well, longer than any of you have said is Ok.

I've wondered, now I know - thank you!

Suzieque

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:52PM
carla35

I would check on the jar itself... different brands have different ingredients and dif. perservatives levels (some have added meats, etc..)

I often wonder about how long opened salsa lasts... and what about opened cocktail sauce... I can't find any info on the jars.... Any ideas on those?

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:03PM
Maura63

Since my daughter has now (twice) put an open jar back in the cabinet, just today I read her what it says on the (Prego) jar: "Promptly refrigerate unused sauce and use within 14-days after opening."

I always freeze unless I plan to use it with a few days.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:46PM
deemarie5500

The fuzzies have happened to me with opened jars of salsa left in the fridge for too long. I buy smaller jars now or use in DH's eggs and rice throughout the week.

I agree with others that you freeze in small bags.

Enjoy!
Dee

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 8:49AM
jel48

It's a good question for condiments as well.... ketchup, mustard, salad dressings....

I think it can vary depending on the temp of the refrigerator and how quickly an item is cooled to that temp (which I'd think would be more of an issue with cooked foods as they take much longer to become chilled).

I don't have any good answers. My general rule of thumb for things other then condiments is a week (more or less depending on the item).

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 9:02AM
sjarz

Well, Duh! Why didn't I think to freeze stuff like that? I have a paranoia about things in the fridge more than a couple of days, which translates to a lot of things not being used...
what a great idea to freeze things like spaghetti sauce. I have had an "AHH" moment as the queen of 'finding herself' says...
Suzan J

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 10:57AM
gadgets

I googled and found the vast majority of places recommend 5 to 7 days. I liked this site the best.

Shirley
(who often freezes things like this so I don't waste as much.)

Here is a link that might be useful: How long do they last?

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 11:17AM
marilyn_c

I'm the same way, jarz. I don't keep anything in the fridge more than a few days. I even toss ketchup and mayo if they are more than a few weeks old. I know they are still good, but one time we went to a seafood restaurant at the beach, and the ketchup was in a squeeze bottle, and it had soured. Yuck!
Of course, it had been sitting on the table for no telling how long, and I keep mine in the fridge, but I am extremely weird about food. Freezing left overs is a better idea, like for spaghetti sauce.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 11:35AM
jannie

When I clean my fridge, which I only do about twice a yeat, I dump out everything that's opened, including all the condiments, like olives and ketchup.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Good Morning
Was up most of the night with a chiari headache. So...
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Which do you handle better, excessive heat or cold?
If you had to choose to either be uncomfortably hot...
pickyshopper
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Let's get to know each other March 1, 2015
Its been a really long time since we did this and I...
JoAnn_Fla
Amazing Aunt Audrey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™