Don't understand how my heating system works

anita9November 7, 2011

I moved into a new house and the inspector didn't explain the heating system, and I can't find any manual. We have demand hot water and I am told that we have radiant heat (but it's not in-floor heat.)

There is a thermostat downstairs and each room has a wall vent with an individual fan control. When you turn on the fan the room warms up - but even if you don't turn it on, a little bit of warmth comes out as long as the thermostat is on.

So do we save any heating energy by keeping some of the fans off? Or are they just blowing heat that's being produced anyway? What is behind the vents in the rooms? And what is the most overall efficient way to run this system? It's a 2-story 1800 sqft townhouse and the living room has 20' ceilings.

And is it the same water heater providing both heat and hot water to the house? It's a Rinnai R94LSi which I looked up on Amazon and no one mentions using it for heating a house. There are a ton of lines coming off it and I don't see anything else - but I haven't been in the crawl space.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joe_mn

U bought the house? Hot water heat? No a/c? What state is house in?

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 4:14PM
ionized_gw

If you had the house inspected, pre purchase, you should have a report and it should list the heating equipment.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 6:44PM
anita9

Yeah, I bought it but I don't have the inspection report - long story, there was one performed but I don't have it.

There is no A/C, I live in Seattle.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 8:21PM
ionized_gw

It is unlikely that that same unit is heating your water and providing space heating. There is no way anyone can tell how your heat works based on your description. You are going to have to go into the crawl space and attic to see if you can identify ducts, pipes, and a furnace or boiler and to take pictures to post for us.

I think it would be better to have an expert explain your house to you. Hire another house inspector to go over the place and explain it all to you. It is probably worth the price to be enlightened.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
carrier infinity with greenspeed service settings
We just built a new home in central Kansas this year,...
Energywise.ks
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™