Seeking quietest furnace

casmithNovember 22, 2007

I'm getting bids on a 4 ton furnace that will be in a utility closet in a finished basement. I'm looking for the quietest possible unit.

We have bids from two reputable installers, one for a Rheem modulating, the other for a Carrier Infinity 96.

I'm in Portland, Oregon with fairly mild winters. It seems there is a chance that the Rheem modulating might generally keep the system at a lower fan speed than the Carrier, which would seem to keep things quiet.

On the other hand, the published sound rating is lower for the Carrier. (for what this is worth)

I've heard proponents of each system claiming that it is quiet, but not yet from anyone who has experience with both systems (and possibly others). I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mr_havac

Sound ratings don't mean a darn thing without a properly designed and installed duct system and no manufacturers claim has any control over that.

Bookmark   November 22, 2007 at 4:50PM
kalining

Just a thought on this quiet thing that seems to be on everyones priority list. You get a beautifully quiet furnace. Just perfect. You don't hear squat. You don't even know it is working. You leave one day and it actually
isn't working because you can't hear it to tell the difference. Then come home with most of your pipes frozen and the cat and dog cuddled up together to keep warm. Prime ex. my stat crapped out yesterday. couldn't hear the
relay click. Yes woke up with no heat.

Bookmark   November 22, 2007 at 8:11PM
bonanza_stu

I have installed both furnaces. Either one is very quiet. Both are sealed combustion units and can be enclosed in an insulated closet unless there is an atmospheric combustion appliance in the same room. I'm assuming the furnace will be installed with 2 vent pipes. The Rheem unit has the capability of running at lower Btu inputs and will be quieter during mild outdoor temperatures.

Bookmark   November 22, 2007 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
2 HVAC quotes: need to decide
I'm ignorant of HVAC, but willing to do the research...
davidarcher2
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
Heat Pump in Northern Virginia
Does anyone have advice on which contractors may be...
jbedford004
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
Sponsored Products
King Sham w/ Crisscross Gimp
$460.00 | Horchow
Chesterfield Loveseat in White
$1,129.00 | LexMod
Small Canon Sectional
Opulent Items
Kent 16 in. Girls Cupcakes Bike - 91605
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Finishing Touch Flushmount by Philips Forecast Lighting
$78.00 | Lumens