Radiant Heat - Hydronic

davep56November 8, 2012

I recently had my kitchen remodeled and replaced the two cast iron radiators with hydronic radiant heat under porcelain tile. Is it normal for the hoses and heat source to only be on one side of the floor? The predominant coverage is between the sink/range and Island and I have another 8 feet on the other side of the island that does not have radiant heat coverage. My contractor says that is because they only installed it on the floor section that had the garage below it in the ceiling beams. There is access under the rest of the floor, would have had to take down some sheet rock. He says this is normal installation when installing it for heat only. I would have expected both sides of the kitchen floor to be heated, because their is an obvious difference when walking across the kitchen. Also, the half of the floor where there is heat is on the same side as the thermostat. What is the normal installation process for this. And wouldn't it be efficient to heat the entire floor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fsq4cw

It's not normal that you should be unhappy. Where were you when this was being designed?

SR

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 12:58PM
mic111

Normal installation is for a whole floor but I'm sure people doing retrofits make compromises to reduce the cost. But it doesn't sound like you ok'd this compromise. Sounds like a complete lack of communication. What does your contract say?

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 8:40PM
davep56

Yes, appears to be communication issue with contractor. Contract says in open beams above garage which is basically half of the floor. At the time, I was not familiar with this type of system, so I had no clue what it even looked like, the contractor knew we wanted all of the walking areas heated since my first request was to use electric pads in the walking area and he talked me out of that and said just create a separate zone off of your furnace for the kitchen floor. Not a big deal to finish it, half of the remaining floor is open beams in laundry room, and the rest is in ceiling above a bathrrom which I'm fine with them taking out the ceiling and replacing with drywall.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Heat pump choices for first timer. Advice??
Hello, First post, great place you all have here. We...
adayrider
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™